Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > SaniClean no rinse
View Poll Results: Do you use SaniClean just like StarSan?
I'll use a still-wet container sanitized with SaniClean as if it was StarSan. 10 62.50%
When using SaniClean, I allow the container to drip-dry. 5 31.25%
I don't use SaniClean without a rinse. (Explain why in a post please!) 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2009, 12:20 AM   #1
cscade
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default SaniClean no rinse

I'm a dedicated StarSan user, but recently I have started using SaniClean as well for situations where there's no advantage to the foam of StarSan. After all, SaniClean is cheaper.

This is just a quick poll, if you use SaniClean at the labeled concentration, do you rinse or allow to dry? Or would you use it just like StarSan and immediately use a drained container?

Seeker Brewing Co.
est. 2008
Build Thread - Blog

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 12:39 AM   #2
JVD_X
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I do use starsan and saniclean... but together. Sometimes I end up with just a bit too much foam in a carboy so I mix up a small batch of saniclean and rinse the foam out with it. Otherwise... I just stick with starsan.

- JVD_X

Old 10-12-2009, 01:38 AM   #3
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I've been to Five Star's site, and I don't see that Sani Clean is the same product as Star San. It's listed as a cleaning agent, and I think it's best that I treat it as such. I don't use it, because I have no need for it. I use Star San pretty much exclusively for sanitizing, and am quite pleased with the results. I didn't do the poll, because there's really no appropriate response for my situation.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:08 AM   #4
cscade

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
I've been to Five Star's site, and I don't see that Sani Clean is the same product as Star San. It's listed as a cleaning agent, and I think it's best that I treat it as such. I don't use it, because I have no need for it. I use Star San pretty much exclusively for sanitizing, and am quite pleased with the results. I didn't do the poll, because there's really no appropriate response for my situation.
SaniClean is actually billed as a "low foaming equivalent to StarSan", even though they clearly have different ingredients as is shown by color alone. The reason SaniClean is not labelled as a sanitizer is due to differing state-level regulations. They are however both acid rinses, and the labeling on them is nearly identical. But they ARE different, so I'm asking. I'd rather not be contributing off flavors to my beers!

Seeker Brewing Co.
est. 2008
Build Thread - Blog

Old 10-12-2009, 03:22 AM   #5
drost
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscade View Post
After all, SaniClean is cheaper.

It may appear that SaniClean is cheaper at first, but the recommended dilution rate of SaniClean is more than twice the amount of StarSan.

Per Five Star Chemical's web site:

StarSan:
Directions: A dilution of 1 ounce to 5 gallons of water, STAR SAN will provide 300 ppm of dodecylbenzenesulfonic
acid.

SaniClean:
Part Soaking- In a 5 gallon bucket add 4 gallons of water and 2 ounces of SANICLEAN.
"It isn't a matter of being a beer snob. Some people think a steak from Ponderosa is a great dinner out (Budweiser). Others would rather have a filet at one of the better steakhouses (craft beer). " --Pronger750

Old 10-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
cscade

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drost View Post
SaniClean:
Part Soaking- In a 5 gallon bucket add 4 gallons of water and 2 ounces of SANICLEAN.
That seems to be related to SaniClean's more multi-purpose nature. The bottle recommends a dilution of 1oz / 3 Gallons of water as a rinse. That's in comparison to StarSan's 1oz / 5 Gallons.

Seeker Brewing Co.
est. 2008
Build Thread - Blog

Old 10-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #7
drost
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscade View Post
That seems to be related to SaniClean's more multi-purpose nature. The bottle recommends a dilution of 1oz / 3 Gallons of water as a rinse. That's in comparison to StarSan's 1oz / 5 Gallons.
The 1 oz to 3 gallon rate is listed for CIP cleaning environments. For part soaking, which is what I assume most homebrewers are doing, SaniClean's rate is 2 oz per 4 gallons.
"It isn't a matter of being a beer snob. Some people think a steak from Ponderosa is a great dinner out (Budweiser). Others would rather have a filet at one of the better steakhouses (craft beer). " --Pronger750

Quick Reply