New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Sabco Kettles worth the price?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #11
NervousDad
BFM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 175

IMO they are worth every penny. My only issue with them is that they don't come with a valve (which if you get from them is $63). Other than that they are fantastic. And you'll never have to worry about handles breaking off..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 01:55 AM   #12
jcav

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have three Sabco kettles. I had them custom weld the thermometer fittings low on the vessel and next to the the ball valve fittings, so it will be useable if I decide to brew a 5 gallon batch. I also had them weld all the tri clover fittings using the one inch size ferrules instead of the 1/2 inch size, and had them weld the returns where I wanted them. They were very accomodating.

I was extremely happy when I received them. The quality of these vessels is top notch. They are very sturdy, (more like commercial grade) as the stainless steel is quite thick. The extra heavy walled top and bottom skirts make these kettles just about bomb proof. If you drop one by accident even filled with liquid and grain, the heavy duty bottom skirt will absorb the impact and save the container part of the vessel. All the welds are first class sanitary tig welds and are extremely clean with no leaks. All these features were important to me in making my decision, as I wanted everything welded instead of using washers, nuts and gaskets. I also liked their other features like their unique easy to clean siphon assembly, reliable false bottom and easy to break down and clean tri clover fittings everywhere.

The Blickman's are very nice also and I am in no way knocking them or saying ANYTHING negative about their vessels, and I could have bought them. I own other Blickman products and am totally satisfied, but for me and my situation I decided on going with Sabco, and I am very glad I did.

My two cents on this issue is that I don't think one company's brewing vessel is definitely or absolutley better over the other as an ALL AROUND vessel. However, it's a matter of personal opinion. But each one does has it's use for the features they offer. In that respect one might be better than the other for your particular use in your brewery.

The debate will go on forever on which one is better (Blickman or Sabco) so my advice is make a list on what features are important to you, how you are going to brew, your equipment, does the weight of the vessel matter, are you using a pump or do you have to lift the vessel with liquid in it? Do you want welded or unwelded fittings, tri clamp or threaded, can you weld or solder yourself, etc.

Either way the Blickman's and the Sabco's are very expensive (the custom Sabco's cost me more) and there are much cheaper and totally useable vessels out there. So it depends on your budget as well and your ability (can you weld or solder and custom make your own). You can save some money and go with other cheaper kettles or pots and put the savings towards buying all the other equipment for your stand and brewery.

Hope this helps a little in answering your question from someone who actually has the Sabco kettles. Best of luck with your build!

John

"Talent is hitting a target no one else can hit. Genius is hitting a target no one else can see."

"Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they really aren't after you!"

Old 08-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
BeerguyNC61
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Thanks John! Very good info! Do you have any pictures of the Sabco kettles?

Old 08-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #14
jcav

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerguyNC61 View Post
Thanks John! Very good info! Do you have any pictures of the Sabco kettles?

Work is demanding so much of my time this week. But I will try and post some pics in the next few days.

John

"Talent is hitting a target no one else can hit. Genius is hitting a target no one else can see."

"Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they really aren't after you!"

Old 08-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #15
OldBunny

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBunny View Post
Yes, stainless is expensive, but brands like Bayou Classic are still pretty cheap (their primary product is turkey fryers). Also, although I don't want to be a heretic, you can brew perfectly decent beer using an aluminum turkey fryer.
I started with an aluminum turkey fryer and then upgraded to a Bayou Classic stainless pot, to which I added a William's Brewing Kettle Valve and hose barb for under $30. You could probably duplicate the valve assembly on amazon for a bit less.

Quick Reply