Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Sabco Kettles and Sanitation
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2005, 03:54 AM   #1
brackbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 360
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Sabco Kettles and Sanitation

So, as I prep for brewing my first batch in my sabco keggle, and read the instructions about using teflon tape, etc on the threads for the stainless ball valve and thermometer, I'm noticing that there already appears to be teflon tape on the threads (it's a white coating, somewhat slippery). Do I need to add more. Also, what about sanitizing these implements? Do I wait to install them write before I start heating up water in it? Is it really necessary,to have a barbed nipple to attach to the end of ball valve for tubing to drain into primary?

__________________
brackbrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2005, 04:10 AM   #2
usmcruz
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guam
Posts: 294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brackbrew
So, as I prep for brewing my first batch in my sabco keggle, and read the instructions about using teflon tape, etc on the threads for the stainless ball valve and thermometer, I'm noticing that there already appears to be teflon tape on the threads (it's a white coating, somewhat slippery). Do I need to add more. Also, what about sanitizing these implements? Do I wait to install them write before I start heating up water in it? Is it really necessary,to have a barbed nipple to attach to the end of ball valve for tubing to drain into primary?
I have a sabco kettle, and i sanitize everything. I guess with the heat and all it might be ok, but to be sure i would. Especially to get any grit or stainless steel dust. Take a piece of toilet paper and rub it on the inside of the valve, if it comes out clean i wouldnt worry about it. Yes thats teflon tape on there, but i would make sure it will hold a seal before you start brewing. I usually keep my valve and extra parts sanitized in a ziplock baggy until its time to brew then i put them on, just a matter of preference. yes the barb nipple is important for attaching tubing. How would you attach the tubing without one? If you have another way i would like to hear it, that would of saved me about 5 bucks a nipple for ss. Hope this helps
__________________
usmcruz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2005, 04:11 AM   #3
usmcruz
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guam
Posts: 294
Default

Ignore this post

__________________

Last edited by usmcruz; 12-28-2005 at 04:14 AM.
usmcruz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2005, 04:11 AM   #4
usmcruz
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guam
Posts: 294
Default

ignore this post, i triple posted somehow

__________________

Last edited by usmcruz; 12-28-2005 at 04:14 AM.
usmcruz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2005, 05:35 PM   #5
brackbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 360
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcruz
Yes thats teflon tape on there, but i would make sure it will hold a seal before you start brewing. I usually keep my valve and extra parts sanitized in a ziplock baggy until its time to brew then i put them on, just a matter of preference
Will I need to put on new teflon tape each time I take those parts off to clean and sanitize?
__________________
brackbrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2005, 05:38 PM   #6
DeRoux's Broux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeRoux's Broux's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Beaumont, Texas
Posts: 2,966
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

juct check them before each brew session. if the the tape is breaking down, just re-wrap. i sanitize my brew kettles too (converted kegs). i am a cleaning/sanitation freak. it's too much work and time to lose a brew to some nasties :~)

__________________

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

DeRoux's Broux is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2005, 09:48 PM   #7
usmcruz
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guam
Posts: 294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brackbrew
Will I need to put on new teflon tape each time I take those parts off to clean and sanitize?
Yes, I would take the old tape off and replace it before a brewing session. I go through a roll of tape a month, but its worth it.
__________________
usmcruz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2005, 10:18 PM   #8
DyerNeedOfBeer
Barley Sober
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DyerNeedOfBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Columbus, MS.
Posts: 256
Default

Backbrew, I have the sabco kettle as a brew pot myself and I have never taken the ball valve off for sanitation. I initially used teflon tape to put the nipple and valve on and it has never leaked. I have done many batches in this kettle and never had a contamination issue (knock on wood). IMO the heat will sanitize the equipment. I am more concerned over ruining the threads on a one hundred dollar keg from Sabco due to repeated assembly and dis-assembly. Everything downstream of the valve connects using a stainless compression fitting so I do take that and the attached hose off and sanitize that. I agree with other sanitation 'freaks' that you can't be too sanitary so if you are comfortable with taking it all apart every time, I wouldn't advise you otherwise just don't gall those threads!.

__________________

Beer lovers make better drinkers.

DyerNeedOfBeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2005, 11:15 PM   #9
usmcruz
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guam
Posts: 294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerNeedOfBeer
Backbrew, I have the sabco kettle as a brew pot myself and I have never taken the ball valve off for sanitation. I initially used teflon tape to put the nipple and valve on and it has never leaked. I have done many batches in this kettle and never had a contamination issue (knock on wood). IMO the heat will sanitize the equipment. I am more concerned over ruining the threads on a one hundred dollar keg from Sabco due to repeated assembly and dis-assembly. Everything downstream of the valve connects using a stainless compression fitting so I do take that and the attached hose off and sanitize that. I agree with other sanitation 'freaks' that you can't be too sanitary so if you are comfortable with taking it all apart every time, I wouldn't advise you otherwise just don't gall those threads!.
galling the threads is caused by using no teflon tape or not enough. going on 4 and a half years now, and no thread damage. got to take it apart at least once every one to two brews to get any nasty's hiding in the cracks
__________________
usmcruz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2005, 11:55 PM   #10
DyerNeedOfBeer
Barley Sober
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DyerNeedOfBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Columbus, MS.
Posts: 256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcruz
galling the threads is caused by using no teflon tape
The welding of the female coupling on the kegs can warp the threads and then subsequent assembly could lead to galling. The first time I put my setup together, it was very tough to get the nipple in. It was hard turning all the way as a nylon lock nut is to thread onto a bolt. I had to ease it in and out bit by bit and use lots of lubrication to keep from galling the threads. Now that it is done, it may have straightened it out somewhat and it would be easier, but I will leave well enough alone. I was concerned over the sanitation at first but fortunately have had no issues so far.
__________________

Beer lovers make better drinkers.

DyerNeedOfBeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sabco users? Gabe General Techniques 9 11-17-2012 01:50 PM
Is SABCO still in business? JVD_X Equipment/Sanitation 8 01-17-2008 01:54 AM
Sabco craiger_ny Bottling/Kegging 12 11-08-2007 08:47 PM
sabco kettles jerly Equipment/Sanitation 3 11-01-2006 05:53 PM
Sabco Brew Pot Atticmonkey Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 12-07-2005 01:32 PM