New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Rubbermaid container warning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Rubbermaid container warning

I purchased a medium to large sized container at Home Depot as a clearance item with the intention to use it for label removal. Well it worked fine form my first week or so that I had it full of oxyclean. However sometime yesterday after just a few days of being loaded up a hair line crack developed in one of the bottom most corners. Left me with a nice little puddle around it.

Just figured I'd let you guys know in case you had your eyes on them for storing heavy stuff in them. They're not the most sturdy when having side pressures on the walls.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2632 Times on 1698 Posts
Likes Given: 2143

Not doubting your experience, but...

I've had a very large one full of saltwater (sump under my tank) for at least 10 years. Maybe longer. It's in the dark.

I think these tubs are greatly affected by strong light (UV, especially, which includes sunlight). Probably by higher temps, too. Some in my garage have gotten brittle.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
Conodor
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Maybe it was defective to begin with. I've filled and left mine full Fr weeks at a time.

And also know others that use them for salt water.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

I've had mine full of oxyclean, water and tons of bottles for weeks on occasion with no issues either. There probably was existing cracks in it to begin with. When I bought mine to use, I went through everyone at the store, and rejected a bunch of them that had cracks on the bottom corners or any other stress damage from being bang around the warehouse and the store. I've seen stores dumping a stack of them off a cart and man handling them onto shelves, so you just have to pick through them ahead of time.

Same thing with homer buckets at HD, or bucket fermenters atr the lhbs, whenever I am buying them, I go through all of the stack to pick the undamaged one.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-12-2010, 11:21 PM   #5
smokinghole

Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'll go check them out again it was only like $4 and throughly inspect like mentioned. This one is now just a storage box no more liquids. I suspect the best way to inspect these bins would be to hold them up to the light and check the corners.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
I suspect the best way to inspect these bins would be to hold them up to the light and check the corners.
Exactly, or use a flashlight.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply