Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > RO Systems HELP!?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
Bowtiebrewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default RO Systems HELP!?

Hi guys... I've finally had it up to... welll... you get the point...

I am sick of my stock water that I'm using... Its too damn difficult to adjust the water to get it to the desired level, so I want to start with RO water. I figure this is probably the best way to go about it, however I don't have any knowledge on what kind of system is good or how much I should spend.

I was looking in Lowes the other day and saw a Kenmore system and then later that day online I saw a Watts system...

I don't want to spend a ton of $$ but I do want somethign that is reasonably easy to maintain and the filters don't cost me an arm and a leg to replace...

Can any one help me on this one?

Thanks,

Jason

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

do you ONLY want it for brewing water? cuz the lower GallonPerDay systems are pretty damn cheap, and you'd just collect your water for a couple days til you had enough.

its the larger capacity units that get really spend, really quickly.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 08-18-2009, 02:56 AM   #3
P-Lay
Recipes 

Try Bulk Reef Supply. They have all kinds of options for filters or RO systems. I buy a lot from them and have never been disappointed (haven't used with brewing). If it's just taste/odor you're trying to get rid of, you might be able to get away with just using a carbon filter or activated carbon for chloramine removal.

Cheers!
P

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad coffee View Post
Why kill when you can OVERKILL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManes View Post
Have you considered drinking more?

Old 08-18-2009, 03:01 AM   #4
fifelee

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I bought from Drinking Water Filter- Reverse Osmosis Water Purifier Purification. It works great. Filters only cost about $40/year

Old 08-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
Bowtiebrewery
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I actually did check out Bulk Reef Supply... I was planning on buying from there actually.

I've been doing some serious reading on this and I've come to realize that RO systems are extremely inefficient.. apparently 1 gallon of RO and 8-10 Waste water... That is kinda a put off to me...

However what I think I am going to do before I make the jump is I am going to go out and buy about 15 gallons of RO water and do my adjustments with that... If it improves my BHE to a noticable point I will go ahead and purchase the system...

Old 08-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The Reef supply system has a membrane rinse feature but that is not mentioned in the FDW.com system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 08-18-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
P-Lay
Recipes 

I use a waste line flow-limiter and have been getting about 3 gallons of waste water per 1 gallon fresh water - still not great. The flush kit is nice so you can flush the surface of the membrane every now and then to prolong the life of the filter. The waste water also only comes from the RO membrane. If you only use a carbon filter or sediment/carbon filter combination, there wouldn't be any waste water. I'm also under the impression that if you filter all of the elements out of the water with an RO membrane that you will need to put some of them back in afterwards - specific amounts depending on the beer style - though I've never tried it.

Cheers!
P

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad coffee View Post
Why kill when you can OVERKILL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManes View Post
Have you considered drinking more?

Old 08-18-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1028 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Run the waste water into a tank and use it for your laundry or for watering around the garden.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 08-18-2009, 09:23 PM   #9
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Lay View Post
I use a waste line flow-limiter and have been getting about 3 gallons of waste water per 1 gallon fresh water - still not great. The flush kit is nice so you can flush the surface of the membrane every now and then to prolong the life of the filter. The waste water also only comes from the RO membrane. If you only use a carbon filter or sediment/carbon filter combination, there wouldn't be any waste water. I'm also under the impression that if you filter all of the elements out of the water with an RO membrane that you will need to put some of them back in afterwards - specific amounts depending on the beer style - though I've never tried it.
Yeah, pure water needs specific ranges of specific minerals-so using all pure water and then 'building' your brewing water is nice.

But just diluting your home water and making minor additions for amendment is less involved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Quick Reply