Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Rinse vs. No Rinse, in regard to risks of exposure to contamination.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2006, 05:10 PM   #1
wildbill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Rinse vs. No Rinse, in regard to risks of exposure to contamination.

I use Iodophor sanitizer and generally rinse instead of air drying because I wanted to limit the exposure to air born contaminates and I don’t want to sit and wait for it to dry. But then I thought about what is running out of the tap and realized I was rinsing my sanitized equipment with un-sanitized water. Bacteria exists tap water, but there is also chlorine added by the local water department. I’ve thought about boiling my rinse water, but haven’t come up with a “safe” way to do so. What do you guys think?

I’ve have wanted to play with yeast more, that’s what got me started thinking.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2006, 05:13 PM   #2
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

The best way to use iodophor is according manufacturer's instructions: mix at 12.5 ppm and air-dry.

The equipment does not need to be 100% dry before using. Any small amounts of iodophor solution left on the equipment will not effect the beer in any way.

IMHO, you need to RDWHAHB.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 09-04-2006, 05:17 PM   #3
wildbill
Recipes 

ok cool,

I was told that if I follow the instructions I should have no problmes, hehe.

I wanted to ask anyway.

Old 09-04-2006, 05:20 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 105

This is a great article on Iodophor...

http://www.bayareamashers.org/conten...s/iodophor.htm

In summary, not only is air-drying OK, you don't even really have to sweat it if it doesn't completely dry. At the proper concentration, even the most discerning palate cannot taste the presense of a small amount of Iodophor in the finished product, nor is it harmful at those levels.

Practically speaking, the risk of rinsing is probably negligible as well, but this article really opened my eyes. I'm all about the Iodophor now. It's cheap, as long as you are using the right concentration. No stresses about rinsing or drying or anything, just do the best you can to let it drain and dry. I was using bleach for my buckets and carboys and One-step for everything else, but at this point I'm just using bleach to clean the buckets themselves and Idophor for the rest.

To be fair, I haven't used Star-San yet, I know it has many, many proponents as well. I don't know how much you need to be concerned about making sure that IT air-dries.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 09-04-2006, 06:21 PM   #5
Exo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I don't have any real concerns about bacteria. I do have concerns about wild yeasts.

I don't use straight tap-water. If I have to rinse I use boiled tap water. I don't use any tap-water for beer-making or yeast starters.

I have gone to Star-San and I've been happy. But I'm concerned with it's ability to kill wild yeasts. Since I have no experience on the matter and haven't read up to terribly much on the issue I am taking the stance of RDWHAHB.

My other concern is using Star-San to rinse my bottles prior to bottling. I don't rinse the Star-San out and I'm not worried about it, but my real concern is a speck of old disgusting mutating yeast in a bottle that the Star-San doesn't get.

After drinking a beer, I rinse the bottle then shake the crap out of the bottle then rinse again. Great excersize and forces me to get off my ass and do something besides get another beer Still I wonder if any specks of yeast are left over...

Wasp Bitten IPA (a Walker-San clone);Cheesefood's Caramel Creme; Wee Heavy Scottish Ale;
Bottled/Conditioning:
Flyin' Hornet Pale Ale(Mirror Pond clone);Oktoberfest Ale
Drinking:
Boom-Boom Apricot Hefeweisen; Forbidden Ale;Pale-Ass Ale (SNPA Clone); Ol' Man Winter Ale
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Walker's Espresso Stout; BrewPastor's Bastard Lager
Quote:
But honey, how else am I going to get enough bottles for my next batch? *burp*...*fart*

Quick Reply