Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > The right John Guest fittings??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
JohnnyGunn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default The right John Guest fittings??

Hey all!!

Has anyone ever used these John Guest fittings for dispensing CO2 in a kegerator?

http://www.johnguest.com/Home/applications/beverages-and-drinks-dispense/Valves/Check-Valves---Service-Valves/SINGLE-CHECK-VALVE---Imperial.aspx

The website says they are designed for liquid and not suitable for air...anyone have any real world experience with these fittings or suggestions for me?

Thanks.

jon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
ihomebrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would suggest just biting the bullet and getting the threaded quick disconnect style fittings. If you already have the fittings with built in barbs, they will be used for something else down the road. I used mine for cleaning type fittings on several applications.

It is not worth buying cheap gas connects, just to find out that you have to fill your tank after 1 day due to leaks.

I wouldn't even care for those on liquid side, as they would have a greater tendency to cause sanitization/spoiling issues.

Sorry about the bleak reply, but I think you will be happier in the long run if you buy the right quick connects now.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2762 Times on 2713 Posts
Likes Given: 118

The manufacturer says they're not for air, I don't think I'd try using them for pressurized air. AKA, when you buy them, don't start a thread about a "mysterious" air leak.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 02-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
JohnnyGunn
Recipes 

@ihomebrewing: Sorry, I should have updated my thread...I went with quick disconnects on the gas side and they work like a charm!! I knew the JG weren't rated for gas from the website, but the guy I bought my kegerator gear from told me I could use them...I had my doubts...so I thought I would check with the real experts on HBT! As for the JG on the beer side...they are great for my situation (switching every month from pin-lock to ball-lock) and I just let them soak in PBW and then flush with water...clean in no time! But what type of quick disconnects would you use on the beer side, just for curiosity sake?

@IrregularPulse: Thanks! If I had used them...I certainly wouldn't post about it! haha!

Old 02-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
JohnnyGunn
Recipes 

Sorry...I didn't realize I needed 25 posts before I could post pictures....I'll post my stuff once I hit that milestone.

Thanks.

Last edited by JohnnyGunn; 02-25-2011 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Add links to pics

Old 03-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
JohnnyGunn
Recipes 

Let's see if I can do this now:

Beer side with John Guest:

Gas side with brass air line quick disconnects:
http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m579/JohnnyGunn1/P2250268.jpg

Gratuitous kegerator and bar shots!

Later guys!

Old 03-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

nice bar! only things I'd change are to paint that baseboard and cut the rug so it's not running up the wall. What are those things hanging off the side? Bottle openers? Arm rests?

Old 03-09-2011, 01:58 AM   #8
JohnnyGunn
Recipes 

@bruin_ale: haha! Thanks for the compliment! The "carpet" is actually my rubber dart mat that indeed needs a little bit of trim! The baseboards aren't actually on yet...which explains that ugly white part! And those things on the side are welded brackets that will hopefully be supporting my armrail (2x6 that will be distressed and stained to match the exposed beam) by this time next week! The bottle opener is hanging on the inside of the bar!

Old 03-09-2011, 02:16 AM   #9
millaj92
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I wouldn't recommend using any fitting for air if it is not rated for air, but given that, I'm not surprised that they worked. I do have lots of experience using John Guest fittings for liquid, but not air. In my vast experience with all types of liquid fittings, the ones John Guest makes are by far the best I've ever worked with. The only bad thing: they have some hefty price tags!

Old 03-09-2011, 02:24 AM   #10
JohnnyGunn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by millaj92 View Post
I wouldn't recommend using any fitting for air if it is not rated for air, but given that, I'm not surprised that they worked. I do have lots of experience using John Guest fittings for liquid, but not air. In my vast experience with all types of liquid fittings, the ones John Guest makes are by far the best I've ever worked with. The only bad thing: they have some hefty price tags!

I know that John Guest sells specialty fittings for air....and they may very well work...I just didn't want to trust them, and I had my doubts...so that's why I went with the brass air quick disconnects. Work like a charm....makes my corny switching a breeze!

The liquid ones are awesome I can vouch for that! I managed to get 2 check valves and 6 barb stems for $15 from my supplier...used of course, but a quick rinse with PBW and all is good!

Quick Reply