Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > reverse osmosis

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2009, 03:45 AM   #1
sithspitt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default reverse osmosis

I'm thinking about getting a reverse osmosis water filtration system because i'm getting tired of filling up gallons of water off my tap at the house and taking them over to my friends where we brew. We would filter the water there off his sink but he is on well water and there seems to be a lot of calcium in it even after a regular water filter. We are making 10gal batches and the only reverse osmosis filtration systems i've seen only have 3.5gal tanks but i haven't seen how fast they fill up. Anybody out there have any suggestions on this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2009, 04:51 AM   #2
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

GE Merlin system will do 750 gallons a day, no storage tank as it does it on demand. More $$ than other systems but works very well.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:10 AM   #3
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I would first have a water analysis run on the well water to find out exactly what's in it before installing anything. You might find that simply boiling and cooling the water might be enough to precipitate out enough of the minerals. The less expensive RO water systems are usually very slow, but you could get around that by using a larger tank or container ahead of brew day.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:53 AM   #4
kronik
Recipes 

I wouldn't bother with a RO system, there is probably a cheaper solution to the problem, I'm not sure what it is, but someone here will...probably.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
zanemoseley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here's what I have for my saltwater fish tank, Aquarium Water | Reverse Osmosis | RODI Water | ReefKeeper Water | TYPHOON III AQUARIUM RO DI 75 or 100 GPD

It will make up to 75 gallons per day if the pressure and temperature are right so it shouldn't take long for you to get what you need. I don't use mine for brewing because I don't wanna bother yet with adding back the necessary stuff into the water because this thing will absolutely strip it down to pure H2O.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
jcryan2
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I got this RO system from Home - H2ODISTRIBUTORS.COM

Rioflow™ 5-Stage Reverse Osmosis System, 60 GPD w/TFC Membrane & Quick Connect Fittings - H2ODISTRIBUTORS.COM

and added the 14 gallon tank option. One thing I learned - the capacity of the tank is not what they will hold at normal house pressure (50 lbs or so) The 14 gal tank will fill about half at 50 lbs water pressure, so 7 gallons or so is max supply at one time. But that is plently for the 5 gal brew batches I work with. You can set two tanks together on the same supply line. That would provide 14 gallons or so on brew day.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 21

That system looks like a deal....but I, too, am on a well, and our water has lots of iron and calcium. My understanding is that systems like this will NOT remove dissolved minerals such as these, but must be preceded by a softener or incorporate something called a "resin" filter.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:14 AM   #8
jspence1
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have an ro unit with a 4G tank. If I want to fill some jugs I just stick the line into a container. I produce about 3 gallons an hour. I set my stove timer for 1:20 and its just about perfect for my 5G container.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:48 PM   #9
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcryan2 View Post
I got this RO system from Home - H2ODISTRIBUTORS.COM

Rioflow™ 5-Stage Reverse Osmosis System, 60 GPD w/TFC Membrane & Quick Connect Fittings - H2ODISTRIBUTORS.COM

and added the 14 gallon tank option. One thing I learned - the capacity of the tank is not what they will hold at normal house pressure (50 lbs or so) The 14 gal tank will fill about half at 50 lbs water pressure, so 7 gallons or so is max supply at one time. But that is plently for the 5 gal brew batches I work with. You can set two tanks together on the same supply line. That would provide 14 gallons or so on brew day.
How much is a unit like this all together? Will it actually fit under a sink? Some of these look pretty big, I am just imaging a 14 gallon tank alone taking a whole lot of space.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:27 AM   #10
Zeno-25
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanemoseley View Post
Here's what I have for my saltwater fish tank, Aquarium Water | Reverse Osmosis | RODI Water | ReefKeeper Water | TYPHOON III AQUARIUM RO DI 75 or 100 GPD

It will make up to 75 gallons per day if the pressure and temperature are right so it shouldn't take long for you to get what you need. I don't use mine for brewing because I don't wanna bother yet with adding back the necessary stuff into the water because this thing will absolutely strip it down to pure H2O.
I have exactly the same deal! Got it years ago for my reef aquarium, used it later for some hydroponics, started using it for all my drinking water, and now I use it to brew beer. Buying an RO filter was one of the best purchases I have ever made.

Quick Reply