Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > return M809 and get chugger pump instead?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2011, 03:24 AM   #11
rmullins
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No experience with chugger pumps, but I've got 2 full years of use with a March pump with absolutely 0 issues. The noise is not enough to both you at all, its just enough that you know when it turns on (which I find to be a great thing with float switches set to turn on the pumps when sparging). I've got it set below my BK, MT and HLT and have never had an issue with priming.

If an issue should arise eventually with my March pump, I would have no issues just upgrading to their newest model

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
chuggerpumps
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The March Pump has less Hp then the Chugger....1/25 vs 1/20 on the Chugger...this does make the motor considerably less noisy. We are running a brew this weekend and I will post the March motor noise vs Chugger. Is this really a consideration for these pumps?

Propane burners far exceed the noise of any pump??

THE CHUGGERS ARE 316 POLISHED SSTAINLESS STEEL HEADS WITH MORE HP LARGER IMPELLERS AND LESS LIKELY TO CAVITATE WITH NEW DESIGN...MARCH ALSO USES RYTON IMPELLERS IN THEIR PUMPS CHUGGER USES FDA GRADE POLYSULFONE !!!

A SS CHUGGER WILL COST YOU LESS THAN A MARCH 809

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppman View Post
Ok, I'm happy to hear that. I was reading another post where someone else was complaining about the noise of the 809 vs the chugger. While I did not buy the motor because I thought it would be silent, and the primary purpose of the pump is to pump water/wort, it would nice if the chugger was considerably more quiet than the 809.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #13
chuggerpumps
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Not the same motor .....not the same setup .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterAtMarchPump View Post
Our 809's are not noisy, they all run at about 60db and the only noise you should really be hearing is the fan noise of the motor when running. You can hold a normal conversation standing right next to it. If you are getting any kind of metalic noises then it could be the drive magnet rubbing against the rear housing of the pump head due to shipping or if it was dropped at some point. If anyone has a "noisy" pump that bothers them alot feel free to ship it to me and i will check it out and see whats going on. Only cost to you would be the cost of getting it to us here in IL.

The Chuggers will be just as noisy as they are the same setup and same style motor....

-Walter

Old 08-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #14
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppman View Post
What would you do?
March makes a good product backed by excellent customer service. Walter is on here all the time and provides free advice, what more do you require?

Someone from chugger gets on here and bashes the competition and types in capitals like an angry child, who would you rather deal with?

_

Old 08-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #15
chuggerpumps
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

the guy with 2 chicks making out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
March makes a good product backed by excellent customer service. Walter is on here all the time and provides free advice, what more do you require?

Someone from chugger gets on here and bashes the competition and types in capitals like an angry child, who would you rather deal with?

_

Old 08-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #16
chrispykid
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post

_
Bashing might be a strong word. Chugger contends that their pump is quieter, March contends that it isn't. I'd challenge either/both to back up their claim with some evidence. Maybe a video of both pumps in action in a similar setup and a spl meter measuring the noise.

It's great that we have two competitors reaching out and fighting for our business. Whoever wins, we do too.

I am inclined to agree that we could live without the all caps statements.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #17
chuggerpumps
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Not Bashing ... not yeliing ....I LIKE CAPS !

We sold March for over 20 years ( OVER 1000 809'S) in the last year ......good products...good people ....we started brewing beer and with Plastic 809's ....and as a pump distributor for over 20 years selling FDA grade pumps to the food industry we did not want to use Plastic to brew .....we made the 1st Chugger head ...it worked great. As passionate brewers we decide to passs it on to other brewers at lowest prices possible .

We believe in this pump...to the point where March no longer allows us to sell their products ( we were among their top distributors in industrial products)

Times change and we change with them ....Its your choice Chugger or March....but our customer service is beyond any ....we are 15 years strong in the pump business with 8 guys here that can answer anything about our pumps 24/7.

call me anytime 800-810-1053

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispykid View Post
Bashing might be a strong word. Chugger contends that their pump is quieter, March contends that it isn't. I'd challenge either/both to back up their claim with some evidence. Maybe a video of both pumps in action in a similar setup and a spl meter measuring the noise.

It's great that we have two competitors reaching out and fighting for our business. Whoever wins, we do too.

I am inclined to agree that we could live without the all caps statements.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #18
chuggerpumps
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

So ..let me get this right....your pump shorted out....which could be from numerous things inlcuding fluid getting in the motor ...power surges ...ect ...I offer to replace it ...if you send it back to me and this is not good enough for you ?

MIKE

Old 08-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #19
ElevenBrewCo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

no im sending it back, i was just under the impression you guys were out of business. im more than greatful that you are letting me send it back. thank you

Old 08-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #20
WalterAtMarchPump
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispykid View Post
I'd challenge either/both to back up their claim with some evidence. Maybe a video of both pumps in action in a similar setup and a spl meter measuring the noise.
Challenge accepted!
For your viewing pleasure:

As you can see by the video....the march may have a slightly higher pitch to the motor due to the fan blades but "noise" wise they are both right at 60db when running wide open.
The test was done in our lab here...to be fair and honest we did take the chugger apart when we first got it to see what it was like. And our pump was straight out of the box, the first one we took of the shelf from the stock room that anyone of you may have gotten.

-Walter

Quick Reply