The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > return M809 and get chugger pump instead?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Zeppman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default return M809 and get chugger pump instead?

Hey everyone,

I was purchasing some brew stuff from an online vendor, and saw that they had the march809 pumps on sale, cheaper than anywhere else, as far as I could tell. I bought the pumps, and within 3 days or so of them arriving, I found the chugger pumps, and that they were selling (with a stainless steel head) for about $10 cheaper, per pump than my march 809 with the plastic head.

I would be out the cost of shipping, but should I return these and get the chuggers? What would you do? I have not used the march pumps and infact not even plugged them in, so the vendor would only be out their shipping costs, which they more than covered in the profit they made off my other $1000+ in other purchases....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
wired247
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Probably not worth the hassle. I have both and they work the same.

Former Cellarmaster Pyramid Ales Kalama, WA
Former Worker Drone Strohs Rainier Brewing, Seattle
Current home brewer

Old 08-16-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
Zeppman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ok, I'm happy to hear that. I was reading another post where someone else was complaining about the noise of the 809 vs the chugger. While I did not buy the motor because I thought it would be silent, and the primary purpose of the pump is to pump water/wort, it would nice if the chugger was considerably more quiet than the 809.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
WalterAtMarchPump
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Our 809's are not noisy, they all run at about 60db and the only noise you should really be hearing is the fan noise of the motor when running. You can hold a normal conversation standing right next to it. If you are getting any kind of metalic noises then it could be the drive magnet rubbing against the rear housing of the pump head due to shipping or if it was dropped at some point. If anyone has a "noisy" pump that bothers them alot feel free to ship it to me and i will check it out and see whats going on. Only cost to you would be the cost of getting it to us here in IL.

The Chuggers will be just as noisy as they are the same setup and same style motor....

-Walter

Old 08-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I have no experience with a chugger pump, but will back up Walter's statement. I have no issues with March Pump noise. It basically equates to a hum. As he noted, conversations can be had in the direct vicinity of the pump without issue.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
I have no experience with a chugger pump, but will back up Walter's statement. I have no issues with March Pump noise. It basically equates to a hum. As he noted, conversations can be had in the direct vicinity of the pump without issue.
As a previous owner of a March 809 and now the Little Giant 3-MD-HC my experience is the March is significantly louder than the LG and the LG is more powerful. The cooling fan on the March motor was the noise producer. I have no experience with the Chugger either.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #7
WalterAtMarchPump
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

rcrabb22....you are comparing two different pumps all together. the LG 3-MD-HC would be the same as our series 3 pumps....but they would all be at around the same DB level as far as noise goes.

-Walter

Old 08-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterAtMarchPump View Post
rcrabb22....you are comparing two different pumps all together. the LG 3-MD-HC would be the same as our series 3 pumps....but they would all be at around the same DB level as far as noise goes.

-Walter
I'll give you pumping power as unfair, noise no. The 809 was significantly louder than the LG I have now. If I still had the 809 I would bring them both to you for side to side noise measurement test as I am in your area (Glenview is my home town!)

Old 08-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #9
HeyNoPie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have an original chugger and a March 809 and would not recommend returning it. I wouldn't say they're the same, but for my usage, they're close enough that I wouldn't bother trying to change now. A stainless head would be nice though it doesn't really change much in the end.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
WalterAtMarchPump
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrabb22 View Post
I'll give you pumping power as unfair, noise no. The 809 was significantly louder than the LG I have now. If I still had the 809 I would bring them both to you for side to side noise measurement test as I am in your area (Glenview is my home town!)
Sure bring it by if you still have it....i can run it and see if anything happens to be out of whack. Some motors are inherintly louder then others but thats the nature of a mechanical item.

-Walter

Quick Reply