Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Replacing a false bottom with a braid

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
kjung
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Replacing a false bottom with a braid

I recently bought a s.s. braid to replace the false bottom in my mash tun, (a 5 gal. Rubbermaid cooler) but I'm having problems making it fit. It's longer than the cooler is wide, which really isn't a problem, but the nipple isn't long enough to connect the spout to.
Has anyone else run into this? I can remove the hose clamp and extend the nipple another 1/4" or so, but I really don't want to if there's another way around it.

Be careful what you wish for, friend, 'cause I've been to Hell, and now I'm back again- Steve Earle

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-
Albert Einstein

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"- Einstein, again

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
DarkSide
Recipes 

What was wrong with the false bottom? I have a false bottom on the bottom of my cooler MLT and prefer it to the braid I use to have. Can you cut the braid shorter.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I've had to wiggle and play with the spigot in order to get the mlt to drain. I don't know if the bottom is warped due to the heat, but the last four times that I've brewed I've had that problem.
I'm not worried about the length of the braid, it's more the nipple that I can't sufficiently attach the spigot to without the mlt leaking.

Be careful what you wish for, friend, 'cause I've been to Hell, and now I'm back again- Steve Earle

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-
Albert Einstein

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"- Einstein, again

Quick Reply