Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Removing Oxiclean white residue from glass??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
TheCookieMonster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Removing Oxiclean white residue from glass??

Hi,

I'm very disappointing with Oxiclean right now.

I soaked my new 6.5 gal glass carboy in a < 1/3 strength solution of oxiclean overnight. I rinsed and rinsed and nothing is getting out the white caked on residue. This is a residue that many could overlook but once the inside gets dry and you are in the right lighting, it's all over the damn inside of the carboy. My water is not hard. Spraying water is not getting rid of it.

I took a carboy brush to it and it's STILL not getting of that residue.. I can see some brush 'scratches' in the white reside but it's caked on.

This was a NEW glass carboy that were mirror perfect. I only cleaned them because I noticed a faint odor.

And this is supposed to be a cleaner? I'm just amazed.

Anyhow, is there anything I can do to get ride of the white residue? I really need to finish a brew today and this is the thing that is holding me back right now.

(Any other recommendations to use something outside of PBW and Oxiclean would be beneficial as I would not like to use this again in the future. It's a bit over the top that this happened considering my water and the steps that i followed)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2010, 01:21 AM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Toss some white vinegar in there and it will take it off. Star San, being an acid, will also take it off.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:11 AM   #3
jspence1
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Starsan will get it out, I gave up on oxiclean for this very reason

Old 05-03-2010, 02:43 AM   #4
TheCookieMonster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspence1 View Post
Starsan will get it out, I gave up on oxiclean for this very reason
Thanks for the responses. I can see how a lot of people wouldn't really notice it.

I know this sounds crazy but my dish soap works very well on my glasses and seems to get things squeeky clean. It does not have a harsh smell or anti-spot formula like the dish washer detergents do.

What about just using my dish soap before the brew and rinsing?

Old 05-03-2010, 02:47 AM   #5
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCookieMonster View Post
What about just using my dish soap before the brew and rinsing?
Just because you can't see the residue from dish soap doesn't mean it's not there. Dish soap residue will kill the head on your beer.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:55 AM   #6
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

What is a < 1/3 strength solution of Oxyclean? You may be using too much of it. I use one scoop for a 6.5 gallon carboy and even that's probably more than necessary for thorough cleaning. As others mentioned, rinse the carboy out will full strength white vinegar or a solution of Star San. The acid in either should dissolve the residue. Put some in the carboy (maybe a quart or so) and slosh it around to completely wet the interior. Give it some time to work and repeat the sloshing now and then. Finally, rinse it out well and then fill it with hot tap water overnight before draining. I never dry my carboys. Instead, I just leave some Star San in them and cover the opening with foil or plastic wrap. I rinse and sanitize them again just prior to use.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:01 AM   #7
Mista_Sparkle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

if your water is anything like mine, no matter how small of an amount of oxiclean you use, you will get residue. I typically just soak mine in a light oxiclean solution then after i get them cleaned up (except for the residue) i throw them in a 5 gallon bucket with about half a cup of vinegar. The vinegar will remove the oxiclean in a half hour or so.

Primary #1+Auxiliary: Burning River Pale Ale clone
Primary #2: empty
Primary #3: EdWorts Apfelwein #4
Conditioning/Drinking:Brewers Best Belgian Tripel, Apfelwein #3, EdWorts Apfelwein #2, Cranapple Wine, Routers Share Network Closet Strong Scotch Ale, McCormack's Old Malt Oatmeal Stout

Old 05-03-2010, 05:16 AM   #8
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6252 Times on 5426 Posts
Likes Given: 803

IMO opinion, soaking anything in oxi for 24 hours is over kill. I have yet to not be pleased with results in under an hour (wow, that's horrible sentence structure!)

Old 05-03-2010, 05:20 AM   #9
Catt22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista_Sparkle View Post
if your water is anything like mine, no matter how small of an amount of oxiclean you use, you will get residue. I typically just soak mine in a light oxiclean solution then after i get them cleaned up (except for the residue) i throw them in a 5 gallon bucket with about half a cup of vinegar. The vinegar will remove the oxiclean in a half hour or so.
Is the residue caused by hard water in your location? Do you have to do anything special to your water in order to use it for brewing? I'm happy I don't have to deal with hard water.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:27 AM   #10
Catt22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
IMO opinion, soaking anything in oxi for 24 hours is over kill. I have yet to not be pleased with results in under an hour (wow, that's horrible sentence structure!)
I agree, unless the equipment is unusually cruddy, the Oxyclean works relatively fast. I give them a long soak mostly because I fill them and forget about them until the following day or sometimes longer. IOW, I don't worry about how long they soak as it doesn't seem to make any difference regarding the residue so long as the Oxyclean is rinsed off before it dries on the glass.

Quick Reply