Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Remove residue inside better bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Default Remove residue inside better bottle?

I scored a better bottle from a family member who makes wine. I saw it had residue in it from his last batch cause he isn't the cleanest person when he makes wine. So I figure no big deal, a warm oxyclean soak for an hour or so should do the trick. Well... No. It didn't do the trick. So, what should I use to get rid of this residue? Its pretty much a reddish haze. I know there is only so many tools they make that I can stick inside of it to wipe down the sides without scratching.

Do I need to soak it overnight in oxyclean? Get some PBW? What should I get and how long should I soak it?

On Deck The Kaiser, Blue Moon, oatmeal porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 819 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I'd try the overnight oxyclean soak or even 24 hours. Might even be worth an email to Better Bottle? They might have some tricks up their sleeve.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 149

I just now figured out how to get the residue off. I topped off the BB with warm oxyclean, and took a racking cane, a #64 rubber band, the kitchen sponge (was due for the trash anyhow), and some zip ties. Took the rubber band, wrapped it around the curved end of the cane really tight making a knob of sorts to keep the sponge from sliding off, peeled the scotch brite side off of the sponge, folded the sponge over the end around the rubber band, and zip tied it on, two zip ties for extra insurance, used the pliers to snug it tight. Wipe away...

Worked like a charm! The bend in the cane was just right to get in the upper corners and the slope up to the opening. Problem solved.

On Deck The Kaiser, Blue Moon, oatmeal porter

Quick Reply