Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Remove Dip Tube and Popits to Clean?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 03:33 AM   #1
dgoldb1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Remove Dip Tube and Popits to Clean?

Is it really necessary to remove the dip tube and popits when cleaning a keg? I‘ve had my pin lock kegs for 2 years and have never removed them, mainly because I don’t have a socket to remove pin lock posts. I soak them in PBW for 24 hrs, then rinse with hot water. I then boil up some water, pour it in the keg and shake it around which builds up pressure. I connect up my picnic tap line and run the really hot water through it. Am I missing something by not removing these? I know hop particles can get stuck in the popit, I guess that’s the main reason, right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 03:39 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4786 Times on 3481 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldb1 View Post
Is it really necessary to remove the dip tube and popits when cleaning a keg? I‘ve had my pin lock kegs for 2 years and have never removed them, mainly because I don’t have a socket to remove pin lock posts. I soak them in PBW for 24 hrs, then rinse with hot water. I then boil up some water, pour it in the keg and shake it around which build up pressure. I connect up my picnic tap line and run the really hot water through it. Am I missing something by not removing these? I know hop particles can get stuck in the popit, I guess that’s the main reason, right?
If you ever remove them, see what's in the poppits, and hold the long diptube up to the light and peek through it, you'll know exactly why I remove mine and clean them every batch!

If you can't see it, and you don't have off-flavors, then no point thinking about it I guess. But I work WAY too hard on my beers to ignore such a basic 2 minute routine.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:41 AM   #3
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3624 Times on 2233 Posts
Likes Given: 3129

I clean mine between every batch. But I have a lot of kegs, so I wait till I have 4 or 5 empties then do them all at once. Doesn't take long and gives piece of mind.

mb2696 Likes This 
Old 12-12-2012, 04:16 AM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1044 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I think you'll find some nasty funk in the poppet springs and some beer stone on the interior of the dip tubes. You should be running a stiff brush through them at least every other beer.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 12-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 492 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I clean mine between every batch. But I have a lot of kegs, so I wait till I have 4 or 5 empties then do them all at once. Doesn't take long and gives piece of mind.
Damn, Pawn doing something wrong if you have 4-5 empty at a time. Yep disassemble clean check all o-rings and poppets. replace if worn
passedpawn Likes This 
Old 12-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
JonW

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I guess I'm in the minority on this. I don't remove my posts/poppits/tubes when I clean. The keg cleaner I built has QD's that I attach to the posts so PBW is being circulated throught the post/poppit/tube continuosly. On the occassion that I do pull a post to replace a poppit, clip a tube, etc. I never have any build up in there. I'm thinking the PBW does a pretty good job at keeping it clean.

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...ed-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hack...s-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upri...1-kegs-371438/

Old 12-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
BierGuy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
I guess I'm in the minority on this. I don't remove my posts/poppits/tubes when I clean. The keg cleaner I built has QD's that I attach to the posts so PBW is being circulated throught the post/poppit/tube continuosly. On the occassion that I do pull a post to replace a poppit, clip a tube, etc. I never have any build up in there. I'm thinking the PBW does a pretty good job at keeping it clean.
I do the same thing my PBW is in a big rubber made container and i have had bug and other thing like lint from the air get stuck in the springs .pull apart and clean every time

Old 12-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
JonW

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierGuy View Post
I do the same thing my PBW is in a big rubber made container and i have had bug and other thing like lint from the air get stuck in the springs .pull apart and clean every time
My pump has a filter on it.

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...ed-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hack...s-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upri...1-kegs-371438/

Old 12-13-2012, 12:22 AM   #9
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3624 Times on 2233 Posts
Likes Given: 3129

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaksnbeer View Post
Damn, Pawn doing something wrong if you have 4-5 empty at a time. Yep disassemble clean check all o-rings and poppets. replace if worn
I had trouble getting a QD onto a post recently. Gave it a good slam and all was well. I thought.

Next day 5g of rye IPA in the bottom of my new keezer. waah.

Turns out I busted the oring on the post. That little broken oring cost me the beer. Good thing it was a 10g batch and I had another keg of it waiiting in the wings.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:10 AM   #10
beaksnbeer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 492 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 67

My condolences on your loss, had a similar experence only I cracked the QD dumped a milk stout and drained a new 5lb CO2 tank back when I was using a fridge , leaked out and soaked into carpet.

Quick Reply