Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Remote probe thermometer wort proofing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #141
fauxtoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Sorry to revive an old thread but what diameter (ID and OD) O-ring would I get? I tried home depot but they had nothing useful in stock so I'll have to order it online. Anyone have a link that could guide me in the right direction?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #142
anengineer
no known unknowns
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 20

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/remo...ml#post2703289

Old 10-21-2012, 02:40 AM   #143
ArcLight
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 48

>>Sorry to revive an old thread but what diameter (ID and OD) O-ring would I get? I tried home depot but they had nothing useful in stock so I'll have to order it online. Anyone have a link that could guide me in the right direction?

This is what you want:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

2 tips

#1 - heavily coat the probe, and begin inserting it, and the lube accumulates along the sides of the tube. Pull the probe out, push the extra lube into the tube, and reinsert the probe. Insert it around a foot, then squish it back out (dont pull) and repeat with adding more keg lube.
It took me about 5 minutes to get the probe through to the end.

#2 - the only thing I found hard was getting the outside O ring (the clamp) over the tube. What I ended up doing was fitting the O Ring around a thin pliers, then opening the pliers, expanding the O ring. Then I was able to get the tube through the O Ring.

Once you get the equipment
(thermometer, keg lube, O Rings, tubing), its a half hour project.
If I were to do it again, I think I'd be done in 15 minutes.

I used 3 feet of tubing, so it doesnt come all the way up to the thermometer, which is fine.

I didnt put the tubing past the bend.

Bobby - is there a reason to have the tubing passed the bend?

Old 10-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #144
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1060 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 28

No reason to go past the bend. I don't know what I was thinking. Maybe I thought it was a little extra insurance or something.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 12-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #145
hiphopperforever
Recipes 

New here, first post - been lurking and learning for a few weeks. Haven't had anything to post as I am overwhelmed by the knowledge base.

I did my first all grain BIAB a couple weeks ago and got my remote probe wet enough that the temps were bouncing all over. Just getting back into brewing after a dozen years of letting my equipment sit in the celler (life gets in the way of hobbies some times).

Anyway, I probably blew my mash temps. My floating thermometer as it turns out was also kerplewey with separated mercury. I dried out the probe in the oven and it seems to be within three degrees at boiling temps.

Just picked up some tygon fuel line 1/8 id 1/4 od. I tried sliding it on with some baking grease, and that just made a mess. What worked really well was heating up the tubing in hot tap water. It slid on even past the crimp really easy. If you are having trouble give that a try, hope this helps someone.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #146
yeastieboysbrewing
Recipes 

Default Zip ties

Has anyone tried just putting a couple of zip ties around the silicone tubing to "seal" it around the probe? I have no intent of using this in the oven, just for mashing, so I'm not worried about melting silicone or plastic.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:07 AM   #147
Swearing_guy
Recipes 

I used a bic ballpoint pen and started from the ballpoint side and rolled 4 #60 o-rings until they were in the middle of the pen, then took the cap and and ink tube out, leaving only the outside tube. I then slid the silicone tubing into the pen tubing and rolled the o-rings off onto the silicone tubing. Now getting the o-ring on the inside part was a bitch lol. I'll see if it works tomorrow as I am doing my first BIAB. I thought of using the Zip ties but chose not to, did that go ok?

Old 03-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #148
yeastieboysbrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swearing_guy View Post
I used a bic ballpoint pen and started from the ballpoint side and rolled 4 #60 o-rings until they were in the middle of the pen, then took the cap and and ink tube out, leaving only the outside tube. I then slid the silicone tubing into the pen tubing and rolled the o-rings off onto the silicone tubing. Now getting the o-ring on the inside part was a bitch lol. I'll see if it works tomorrow as I am doing my first BIAB. I thought of using the Zip ties but chose not to, did that go ok?
I just finally got the tubing, new thermometer (to replace the one I ruined), and zip ties to put this all together. I haven't tried it yet but it seems like it should definitely help "dunk proof" my thermometer. I still plan to be pretty careful and not completely submerge the probe on purpose, but this should buy me some protection if I slosh the mash tun around a bit. I should hopefully be able to test it this weekend or next.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #149
Paul_Aris
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I ordered the same digital thermometer and got my tubing through mcmaster carr just to make sure it was food safe and higher temp rating of around 400 degree.

I wasn't sure how accurate the thermometer would be. So I calibrated it ice bath and the boil method. I was very please to see both were right on the money. So I am very happy and very ready to make better beer now that I can know the temp I am shooting for is accurate.

I installed the tubeing using a o-ring under and over. Had to use a couple a one end prong of a couple of forks to stretch the o-ring over and to stretch the tubing over the first o-ring. Works perfect though. Then on the other end of the temp probe I put a tight zip tie just to seal the other end incase the entire cord falls into the water.

Go Big or Go Home

Old 11-13-2013, 03:02 AM   #150
tuxarut
Recipes 

Paul,

Can you list the part# from McMaster Carr and any other parts you used?

I am looking to copy your same setup.

Thanks!

Quick Reply