Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Remote probe thermometer wort proofing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007, 01:24 AM   #1
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1017 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Remote probe thermometer wort proofing

I posted about this trick a few times but finally got around to taking some pics:

Get some silicone tubing from the pet shop, fill the end with some keg lube and push the probe through. Don't even try without the lube. Then get two #70 O-rings, Lowes sells a pack of 10 for $1.50 or something. I put one on the outside of the tubing as a clamp and worked the other one underneath the tubing as a seal. The last one I did only used the O-ring underneath and it didn't leak either.

Now you don't have to worry about tossing the probe in your kettle, MLT or fermentor and having it start reading way off after getting the wire wet.

Note: if you use the aquarium tubing, it's almost certainly NOT 100% silicone. In other words, it doesn't have the 400F+ rating. If you use this stuff in wort/mash you'll be fine if you keep it away from open flame. Don't use it in your oven!!! If you want the real silicone to be able to use it to monitor meats in the oven, go to Mcmaster, USplastics or a hobby shop (they sell silicone tubing for R/C fuel lines).

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2007, 01:37 AM   #2
Beerrific
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

That's great. I just bought a digital thermometer and was wondering how I was going to water proof everything, this just might work...thanks.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:20 AM   #3
tbulger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Was waiting for this, but bought anyways i got the #60 rings. Whats a good replacement for keg lube, i think someone mentioned vasoline beffore would that work?

primaries: BRown Ale
secondaries: Rye IPA
Bottled: IPA, Pigs ear brown clone, stovepipe porter, German Alt, Oktober fest ale, Smoked IPA, failed pale ale, 1st AG ESB, belgian wit, Ipa#2, , Lake wheat, fish Red ale, Smoked wheat,
KEGS: blonde Nugs , Sugar pale light, chin nook ale (gone in 1 week)

Old 04-09-2007, 04:40 AM   #4
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks Bobby. This is a great trick. Worked like a charm for me.

I second the idea of using keg lube or some other stable, food-grade lubricant for helping ease that tubing over the probe. I just wet mine a bit, and that worked -- for a few inches. Then it was a battle the rest of the way!

Also, I like your idea of using o-rings to seal the tubing. I used high temp 1/8" silicone tubing, and it fit so tight that I didn' t need it, but for slightly larger tubing that is a very clever little solution. Thanks for writing it up and posting the pics.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:06 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Here's a little tip in case you didn't know. Don't mix up probes and bases if you have more than one. I found out the hard way that they calibrate the thermos to the probe (well at least apparently). I used a new probe on an old base and it was reading low by 4-5dF. I checked this against two other thermos that were reading the same. I suppose this just means I have to tag them to make sure they always mate up properly.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-09-2007, 03:22 PM   #6
tbulger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

did you also use the aquarium silicone seal it?

Bottled: IPA, Pigs ear brown clone, stovepipe porter, German Alt, Oktober fest ale, Smoked IPA, failed pale ale, 1st AG ESB, belgian wit, Ipa#2, , Lake wheat, fish Red ale, Smoked wheat,

Old 04-09-2007, 03:38 PM   #7
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Here are the pics of how I solved my problems with therms...

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/PolTavern/

Pol

Old 04-09-2007, 07:45 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

If you're going to dedicate a given thermo to a piece of equipment like an MLT or kettle, you don't need to waterproof it like I did. The rubber stopper method like Pol's, or the more expensive version using a compression fitting like mine, is great for that. It's when you want to keep the remote probe style portable and transferable between applications that makes this trick useful. For example, I had this probe in the middle of my rectangular MLT one day and then sanitized and dropped it into my fermenter to monitor lagering temps.

tbulger, no, no sealant used on this one since the double O-ring seal is really working nicely.

New Stuff?

Old 04-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #9
tbulger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How did you get the o-ring inside the tubing i tried forever with no luck. I have the silcone sealent so if i cant get it in again i will probably throw some on the seal.

BTW; thanks for this idea its a great and is exactly what i needed. I like the timer/temp alert/ large display of these thermometers.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:20 AM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

It's not so easy but I found the trick. Have the tubing extend past the probe temporarily and then force the Oring up inside anyway you can. Once it's inside, you can then push the probe through a little more and hook the tip of it on the inside of the oring. Use a small screwdriver to help turn the Oring perpendicular to the probe. You can easily keep pushing the probe through now. On the outside one, I just pushed it onto the probe then stuck a tiny screwdriver between the probe and oring and worked it back over the tubing.

Just keep trying ;-)

New Stuff?

Quick Reply