Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Refrigerator thermostat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
rohanski
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Refrigerator thermostat

Does anyone know a way to modify the thermostat that comes with the refrigerator to go to higher temperatures. Is it a low voltage thermostat, or high voltage? If it is low I would think you could use a standard household thermostat.
Your thoughts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2007, 07:30 AM   #2
Bruscar
Eat, drink, repeat
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I am guessing you are looking for a way to ferment in a fridge. If so, get a temp controller. You plug the fridge into it and run the probe into the fridge or, better, into the carboy itself using a temp probe. The controller then turns the fridge on and off based on what temp the probe is picking up. I added one to a used chest freezer and love it. Since it's a freezer, it can get things cold enough for lagers.
Here's one from B3
Clicky

: Red Tail clone - back to basics time
Up next: Red's Irish cousin
Then: Who knows

New motto (T'anks, Newguy!)
"for the love of all that is good and holy...NEVER DUMP YOUR BEER!!"

Old 08-25-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
Bill33525
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Modify refrigerator thermostat calibration

The purpose of this information is to allow a typical refrigerator to be used as a fermentation chamber.

Here is a link to information regarding the calibration of a refrigerator thermostat.
http://www.wineloverspage.com/rscellar.shtml

I have a Gerald Office refrigerator that was adjusted to raise the highest temperature to 70 by turning the calibration screw clockwise about 10 turns.
The result of the recalibration was # 1 on the dial was 65-66 degrees, which is about 15 degrees higher than normal. Turning towards OFF could lower the temperature towards 70. I was happy with this setting and did not experiment further.
Hope this helps.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
jpc
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanski View Post
Does anyone know a way to modify the thermostat that comes with the refrigerator to go to higher temperatures. Is it a low voltage thermostat, or high voltage? If it is low I would think you could use a standard household thermostat.
Your thoughts.
Can't speak for all, but the Kenmore (actually Whirpool) refrigerator-only unit that I use for a fermentation chamber uses a line-voltage controller. I swapped it out for a Love controller so I could easily change temperatures to a precise (if not accurate) setpoint.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
Bill33525
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Which model control are you using?

Old 09-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
dogtailale
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill33525 View Post
The purpose of this information is to allow a typical refrigerator to be used as a fermentation chamber.

Here is a link to information regarding the calibration of a refrigerator thermostat.
http://www.wineloverspage.com/rscellar.shtml

I have a Gerald Office refrigerator that was adjusted to raise the highest temperature to 70 by turning the calibration screw clockwise about 10 turns.
The result of the recalibration was # 1 on the dial was 65-66 degrees, which is about 15 degrees higher than normal. Turning towards OFF could lower the temperature towards 70. I was happy with this setting and did not experiment further.
Hope this helps.
Thank you
I forgot all about that trick.
Infact the refrigerator I have has a arrow on it for colder. Although I went the other way.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
jpc
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill33525 View Post
Which model control are you using?
If you're asking me, I'm using a Love TS-13010. In fact, I just ordered two more, so I now will have four, with three in action (kegerator, fermentation chamber, lagering fridge).

Old 06-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
eun
Recipes 

does anyone know if the fridge thermostat can be used in An egg incubator? Thanks ahead for your replies?

Quick Reply