The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Refractometer w/ SG Scale??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
Apoxbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Refractometer w/ SG Scale??

Are there any decent ones out there? In searching around for some online, it seems many of the reviews claim the the SG scale on the refract's that have it aren't very accurate.

It'd be super convenient to have the SG scale on there, but if it's not accurate, I'll save the money and just get a standard brix unit.

If there's a known good/accurate refractometer with a SG scale built in, please share so I can check it out.

Thanks!!

On Tap - The Tunguska Event, Cream Ale
On Tap - Devastated Sky, CDA
On Tap - Fallow Fields, Autumn Ale
On Tap - East Creek Sour Wheat, Sour Wheat Ale
Fermenting - Nothing :(

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
beerman1957
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

well, the refractometer with SG scale is only accurate to about 1.040. After that, you have to use a calculator to predict the sugar levels. This being said, I would get the one with the SG because they are about the same price. I got mine at morebeer.com but they are all about the same as far as quality goes, IMHO. Right now morebeer is saying they did request better scales just for brewing.. but I don't see them advertized.

Northern Brewer also has them with ATC for $59. I probably broke over $59 worth of
glass hydrometers, but you can break these things too if you are clumsy. Still, I love just placing a drop of wort... awesome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply