Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Refractometer vs. Hydrometer Pros and Cons

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
rhamilton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
And if you can't, or don't, trust your refractometer for FG readings, you should still buy a hydrometer to have on hand anyway. They are cheap.
So I abandoned my hydrometer and used my refractometer full-time when I got it. The first four batches were spot on after 'correction factors' for FG measurements. All was well.

But the next two batches (high gravity, mid gravity) were over +0.020 off after corrections.

So either don't care about FG accuracy or keep your hydro handy.
Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 02:16 AM   #12
Bricks41
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

There is a place for a hydro, but I love my refractometer! I'm still verifying my compensated FG refractometer reading with my hydro reading. So far I am gaining a comfort level with the refractometer. The calculator will get within .002 which has been consistently the case (4 batches now). SG has been within .001.

Get one on eBay for $20-30. Very happy with my purchase!

Old 10-02-2012, 02:50 AM   #13
TrainSafe
John Gage wannabe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts

I just picked up a refractometer, and let me tell you how much easier my brew day just got! It used to be a pain - for first runnings and final runnings I'd pull out a sample and let it cool. I wouldn't know my readings until after the boil was half over and, at that point it was too late to make corrections. Corrections were noted and could be made for future batches. Now I grab a couple drops with a pipette and have an instant reading. I now take readings at every step and can make adjustments as needed on this batch.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:50 AM   #14
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 605

If you go with the refractometer make sure it reads in Brix and not SG. I think the bad rap that refracts got in the past was because some manufactures released ones that only had a SG scale. It was useless for anything after start of fermentation.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:54 AM   #15
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhamilton
A refractometer doesn't replace a hydrometer.

Use the refractometer for everything except the last FG reading -- use the hydrometer for that.

'Conversion factors' are not reliable.
I used to think/say the same thing... until I tried Sean Terril's tool (http://seanterrill.com/2012/01/06/re...er-calculator/). Batch after batch, it matches my hydrometer every time.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:10 AM   #16
Bricks41
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

+1 Bru - that is the same site I used for my FG adjustments. The small discrepancy between the refractometer and hydrometer is usually +-.002.

Quick Reply