Refractometer v.s. Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepers79

Reaction score
Pretty simple - I am looking to buy a refractometer to replace my hydrometer.. Seems like its so much easier to use / read etc..

Thoughts, good / bad Am I missing anything?

THanks!!

Yes, it's possible to completely replace the hydrometer with a refractometer. But I think you'll find that most people that use refractometers like to use them before fermentation and then use hydrometers after fermentation begins.

Refractometers aren't so good at reading once alcohol starts coming into play. There's charts that you can use to compensate for this, though.

Even with the correction software / charts, I have had a lot of trouble with refractometers after fermentation.

I suggest holding onto the hydrometer. I do use a refractomter during the boil, every time. I never miss my OG because of that.

I use the refractometer often during mashing and boil and then during fermentation, but my OG and FG readings are always done with the hydrometer. In short, the refractometer is a good process control tool, but quality control is done with the hydrometer.

Agree with the above. I use the refractometer during mash and to measure OG, and the hydrometer for all SG/FG readings.

I know you can compensate for the presence of alcohol and use the refractometer for the later readings, but I have this hesitancy to trust the accuracy (probably baseless). Plus, when you take a hydro sample, you get to taste it!

Pretty simple - I am looking to buy a refractometer to replace my hydrometer.. Seems like its so much easier to use / read etc..

Thoughts, good / bad Am I missing anything?

THanks!!

I like my refractometer for OG AND FG. I read this article by Sean Terrill in regards to a correlation for determining FGs from refractometer readings. I have been using his correction spreadsheet and its pretty spot on to my hydro readings. FWIW I busted my hydro recently, but I don't think Ill replace it. Ill stick with the spreadsheet and the refractometer. Prost M8B

I use the refractometer often during mashing and boil and then during fermentation, but my OG and FG readings are always done with the hydrometer. In short, the refractometer is a good process control tool, but quality control is done with the hydrometer.

+1 to this. The exact reason I use it for all grain. At $20 bucks on amazon with free shipping (because i have Prime), it was well worth the investment.

But def hang on to the hydrometer. The only surefire way to accurately measure FG.

Back