Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Refractometer reading swings high and low during boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
BeerMoneyBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Refractometer reading swings high and low during boil

I'm getting almost a completely different Brix reading every time I use the refractometer, and what's strange is that it will actually lose points during the boil. Is this caused by the heat? Or possibly the hops? Anyone else experiencing similar issues?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1235 Times on 821 Posts
Likes Given: 564

Is your calibration screw loose? That's not normal. How does it compare to a hydro reading?

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-15-2012, 01:19 AM   #3
StanJohnson
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 46

How much does your ambient temperature change? My instructions say to re-calibrate if ambient temperature changes by more than 5 degrees. I brew outside in Florida; so I am constantly re-calibrating throughout the brew day.

RDWIWBB

Stan

Old 08-16-2012, 05:16 AM   #4
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 136

A lot of refractometers have automatic temperature correction. Maybe the samples are more/less dense depending on when or where you take the small sample from? This is a variation on the new brewers taking a hydrometer sample from the extract brew that hasn't been completely stirred to become uniform density...

Old 08-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
geniz
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If its hot where youre brewing, and you store your refractometer inside, or if the temp increases during the day, your calibration is gonna change. I keep my refractometer in my ferm fridge at 68deg and keep my calibration dH2O there too.. I check my calibration several times during the day.

My refractometer is set to work at 20 deg C, so when Im brewing in a 85-90 deg F garage, my calibration goes way off.

If Necessity is the Mother of Invention, Laziness is Its Creepy Uncle

Old 08-17-2012, 02:21 AM   #6
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 83

same thing happens with mine. i'll take a preboil reading, say 1050, then another 30 minutes into the boil and it will be way off, like 1075 or more. when i take a reading from the cooled wort going into the fermentor the readings are accurate. this is a pretty recent thing so maybe something has gone wrong with the thing.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
krazydave
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I calibrate with multiple readings to make sure I have a good calibration right before my sample. Then I measure the sample over and over until I see three consistent readings. Only then will I trust what the refractometer is telling me.
Since I've started doing this, I've had zero questions of strange readings and my readings are usually a lot closer to what I'm expecting.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydave View Post
I calibrate with multiple readings to make sure I have a good calibration right before my sample. Then I measure the sample over and over until I see three consistent readings. Only then will I trust what the refractometer is telling me.
Since I've started doing this, I've had zero questions of strange readings and my readings are usually a lot closer to what I'm expecting.
Great advice!
I have similar issue on my last batch (measures was 1 °P off in 5 minutes), pretty illogical... but when I took my hydrometer sample at the end of boil it matches refractometer reading.
I"ll do it your way next time.

We are only 10,000 years into beer... there are thousands of years left to go!
Things are bound to change!!

Brewroom with HERMS build
Fermentation chamber and Keezer.. a.k.a. FermKeezer

Old 08-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
nstnate
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have found that if I get my sample off of say my spoon it will vary a lot, but if I use the pipete that came with the refractometer it doesn't. I accredit it to evaperation of the hot wort before reaching the refractometer.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 983 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Grab a few drops in a pipet, invert the pipet and dip the bulb in a small cup of icewater for 5 seconds. Dispense it on the refractometer.

Things mentioned already. Tiny hot wort samples will evaporate water quickly and change the gravity enough to be frustrating.

ATC is not a cure all for dumping any temp sample on the prism. ATC compensates for small shifts in ambient temps, not sample temps. While the prism has enough mass to pull sample temps down pretty close to ambient, it adds enough heat that the reading can shift as you watch.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply