The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Refractometer Help....?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
HOP-HEAD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default Refractometer Help....?

I purchased a refractometer a few weeks back and am just trying to corolate it to my hydrometer. Unfortunately, I can't figure the darn thing out.

The OG on my English Bitter read just shy of 13 brix, or about 1.052, with the refractometer, which I considered to be reasonably close to my hydrometer reading of 1.050.

However, the OG reading of my Imperial Stout was way different. OG of 1.086 with the hydrometer, and about 10 brix, or 1.040 with the refractometer. This considering a target of 1.090.

When I racked the Imperial to secondary a few minutes ago, the reading was 1.018 with the hydrometer, but still 10 brix, or 1.040 with the refractometer.

Clearly the refractometer isn't reading the Imperial correctly, but why?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Three things are going on:

1.) Refractometer readings are not accurate during and post-fermentation, because the ethanol changes the way light is refracted. There is software available that will correct for this discrepancy (e.g. Beersmith), although these conversions aren't 100% accurate - but you can get pretty close.

2.) Refractometers are very sensitive to air bubbles and solids (e.g. tiny hop particles) in the sample. Try to get as clean a sample as possible for your readings.

3.) To get the most accuracy for OG readings, you also need to correct the OG by what's called the wort correction factor. The fact that wort is not a pure sugar solution skews readings slightly. A common correction factor is 1.04. I have found that for my equipment/beers it's closer to 1.02. The MoreBeer spreadsheet assumes it's around 1.07.

I hope this helps!

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Huell Melon Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 03-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
tokolosh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
3.) To get the most accuracy for OG readings, you also need to correct the OG by what's called the wort correction factor. The fact that wort is not a pure sugar solution skews readings slightly. A common correction factor is 1.04. I have found that for my equipment/beers it's closer to 1.02. The MoreBeer spreadsheet assumes it's around 1.07.
So you're saying add .04 (or whatever your personal adjustment may be) to the brix calculation read as OG. i.e. after figuring out the brix to OG calculation I'm at 1.050. You're saying that my actual reading is 1.054, right?

I hope that made sense...

Old 03-02-2009, 01:20 AM   #4
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I think the wort correction factor is multiplied, not added, but I don't know the precise formula since I use software for those calculations. There are some online calculators that will do the trick though.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Huell Melon Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 03-02-2009, 03:52 AM   #5
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Here is an article that explains it all: Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Projects and Equipment - Refractometers

GT

Quick Reply