Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Refractometer / Brix - Final Gravity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
12thKnight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Refractometer / Brix - Final Gravity

Hey all.

I found this site: http://onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml

It says it does the math to convert same-temp/accurate brix measurements from a refractometer to gravity readings.

I am (and have been) using a refractometer to avoid beer waste. A few drops >> filling a hydrometer.

My question is, is this site accurate? I frequently get a starting brix around 15-17, and my finals are around 5-8. That would indicate some seriously high alcohol by volumes using this calculator. Not that I mind at all, just wondering if the calculations on the above site are correct for 68°F wort measurements.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
triangulum33
Whenever it feels right!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm in search of the correct conversion too.
Do you get repeatable measurements with your refractometer? During my brew yesterday, I was getting very different readings from the same wort under the same conditions.

Here's a site that has a conversion table that appears to use the same calculation as the one you referenced:
http://www.winning-homebrew.com/specific-gravity-to-brix.html

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Meine Keezer

Old 03-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
12thKnight
Recipes 

Mine seem to be consistent, yes.

Using roughly the same amount of grain/boiltimes/water I am getting roughly the same readings across multiple brews at roughly the same temps.

I am just not sure if the ABV%'s I am seeing using this tool online are accurate...

Quick Reply