Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Refractometer, which is best?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2009, 01:56 AM   #1
Jumbo82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Refractometer, which is best?

I'll be brewing all the beer for an upcoming relative's wedding. The father of the bride said he wanted to buy us something for our brewery as a thank you gift (I said that wasn't necessary, but he insisted). Now I have to find something for him to buy me. This seems like a good opportunity to finally get a refractometer.

I've never used one before, so I don't know whether some are better than others. I've seen a lot of cheap ones out there, but given the situation I'd rather get one that I know will be quality. Is there a refractometer out there that is head and shoulders above the rest? I've read a bunch of threads and seen links to tons of units, but I can't tell whether people are recommending cheap units that work fine or whether they are top-of-the-line. Just picking out the most expensive unit I can find doesn't appeal to me. Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2009, 02:05 AM   #2
stevea1210
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My $20 ebay refractometer has worked wonderful for me. They don't have to be expensive.

I can't compare it to any others though, as this is the only one i have owned.

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel. - Homer Jay Simpson

Old 07-02-2009, 02:21 AM   #3
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Look at this post

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Old 07-02-2009, 03:41 AM   #4
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Most of the ones I have seen and the one I have are relatively cheap Chinese made instruments and they seem to be just fine for home brewing purposes. They are reasonably rugged and very reliable. I think I paid $59 a few years ago for mine and have had zero problems with it. It's also one of the handiest accessories in my arsenal. The commonly available refractometers are all remarkably alike in appearance for some strange reason.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I endorse looking for the cheap (got mine for $20, I think $5 delivery) eBay refractometer. I got mine from something like the "Happy Fun Luck Trading Co." of Hong Kong, so no need to ask where it's made. It arrived perfectly calibrated to the RO water I use for brewing, and I'm very satisfied.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I agree with what eveyone has said. I picked one up for about $20 off ebay and it seems to work fine.

Just make sure you get one designed for beer and wine brewing that has a brix scale. Usually 0-30 or 0-40 brix. There are refractometers made for other applications and they can be tricky to convert the readings for brewing usage. Beer Smith will convert brix readings for you to ABV

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness
MikeRoBrew1 Likes This 
Old 07-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #7
gxm
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hmmm...I'd certainly be happy to never take an OG with a hydrometer again.
Do refractometer users also use them for FG? I vaguely recall something about the alcohol preventing FG from being accurate.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:01 PM   #8
Jumbo82

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess I'll just get a regular cheap refractometer since it sounds like they work just as well as the higher priced units. I plan to use it during the sparge and pre-boil to check gravity readings. Post boil I'll use both at first until I feel comfortable with the accuracy. I'll probably still use my hydrometer for FG readings, although I know there are equations to account for alcohol. Maybe I'll eventually put away my hydrometer for good, but the main reason I want one is to better estimate my OG without having to cool down wort samples.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:15 PM   #9
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

It's best to have both a refractometer and a hydrometer. I use the refractometer for several things. Check the runoff with it and monitor the gravity during the boil. I get the OG with it prior to pitching and I usually cross check that with the hydrometer. Post fermentation you can use both to back into the OG in case you forgot to get it pre-ferment. I usually do a hydrometer check on the finished beer for my records. Both are valuable tools and each have their drawbacks, but together they work well for home brewing.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #10
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxm View Post
Hmmm...I'd certainly be happy to never take an OG with a hydrometer again.
Do refractometer users also use them for FG? I vaguely recall something about the alcohol preventing FG from being accurate.
Morebeer has published a small spreadsheet that makes all the necessary calculations to compensate for alcohol content. It works very well, I don't even know where my hydrometer is anymore!

Like others here, I'm using a cheapie refractometer from eBay. It works great, and is quite sturdy.

[youtube]0O9wbmVslDQ[/youtube]

Quick Reply