The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Recycling sanitizer water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2006, 07:14 PM   #1
gmkeyworth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Recycling sanitizer water

I'm pretty obviously a newbie so please bear with me.

Currently one of my main homebrewing interests is conserving water in the homebrewing process. We have drought conditions in Austin Texas. We're told every day that every drop of water counts.

I use One Step Sanitizer from Austin Homebrew Supply. I read somewhere that reusing sanitizer water is ok. I've been going on faith and recycling sanitizer even though I'm not convinced it's ok. It makes sense that pathogens shouldn't grow in water that kills them. But chemicals break down so sanitizer might become ineffective over time.

I recycle sanitizer water by putting whatever sanitizer I have left over from washing equipment or bottles in a gallon water jug, capping it, storing it and using it the next time I sanitize equipment or bottles. I reuse the sanitizer one time between 1 week and two months after I first used it.

Some specific questions:

Is sanitizer in water effective when it's been used and then stored for a week to 2 months?

Could bottles be sterilized using a dishwasher on a hot drying cycle?

I know this is a really wild water and energy saving idea, but I'm feeling unusually creative today. Is it possible to microwave bottles and other non-metal equipment to make them hot enough to sterilize without blowing up anything?

Does anyone else who lives with year round water restrictions have water saving tips?

Glenda
Austin, Texas
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please buy carbon offsets at www.terrapass.com.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2006, 07:47 PM   #2
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

We have our fair share of water rationing "up" here too. I know alot of folks here keep a spray bottle full of sanitizer around their equipment and it sits a lot. But the directions do say use 1 teaspoon per gallon of warm water. Don't see why you couldn't hold on to it for a while, especially if you keep it sealed. If you have a wort chiller, collect the hot water coming off the chiller and put it in your primary bucket for washing or sanitizing. You could also use that water to clean up your equipment once the brew session is done.
Bottles can be more than likely clean from the DW, but not sterilized. Microwaving them all would take forever, two cases of bottles.....

Old 10-20-2006, 07:52 PM   #3
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What kind of sanitzer is it? I use Star-San and I reuse it as long as there are bubbles.

EDIT: nevermind. I was thinking one step sanitizer, not One Step Sanitizer.

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged: Smoked Porter

Last edited by todd_k; 10-20-2006 at 09:48 PM.

Old 10-20-2006, 08:13 PM   #4
iloman
Recipes 

There's some good info on One Step and how long you can store it here.

Quick Reply