Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Recurrent infection. Help me before I drop out!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
Tiroux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks guys.

I know the best thing is to learn from our mistakes, and that's what I do all the time. I get that a long time ago. But, first... you have to find what is the problem, and that's what I'm trying to figure out right now.

Some other of my beers turnent out really great after 3 weeks in the bottle and were dangerously good and drinkable.

Anyway.. i'm fixing a couple of problems... I changed my equipment, my sanitizer, etc... I'll stick to glass for my fermentors (primary in 6gal, secondary in 5 gal), I'll double the sanitizing mania.
Next batches will tell.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
PLOVE
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 17

You might consider not transferring to a secondary. Post ferment beer transfer could definitely be introducing oxygen. Most of us have really good luck leaving beer in the primary for months without off flavors. Rack once for bottling and use o2 absorbing caps.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #13
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLOVE View Post
You might consider not transferring to a secondary. Post ferment beer transfer could definitely be introducing oxygen. Most of us have really good luck leaving beer in the primary for months without off flavors. Rack once for bottling and use o2 absorbing caps.
I might try it.. but i like the clarity it gives to transfert, and it restart the refermentation sometimes, when the yeast is sleepy. I'm not sure that my problem is post fermentation oxydation...

Old 11-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #14
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 501 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiroux View Post
I might try it.. but i like the clarity it gives to transfert, and it restart the refermentation sometimes, when the yeast is sleepy. I'm not sure that my problem is post fermentation oxydation...
Your beer will clarify in the primary as well if you leave it for enough time. If you are getting additional fermentation in the secondary vessel then you are transferring your beer to soon! The secondary is to be used, not for fermentation but as a clearing vessel or a place to rack onto fruit, oak or dry hop. None of those processes are supposed to occur before the beer has reached FG.

Transferring before the beer is at final gravity can cause all sorts of problems like no reduction of off flavors and stalled/stuck fermentation issues or beers that just won't reach FG.

For an experiment, leave your next beer in primary for 4 weeks, rack to bottling bucket and compare to your other beers.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 11-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I'll probably try it, since my next beer doesnt require any dry hop or addition.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #16
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

That's something that intrigues me... I can't really state if it's a contamination or a off-flavor coming from an X factor. Anyways, at least... I now know better the bad things that can affect on either cases, so... I'll try to figure out ways to fix or prevent any of these problems.

Quick Reply