Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Rectangular Fermenter

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2011, 04:24 PM   #21
JLo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Woodbury, MN, Minnesota
Posts: 96
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I've also found this 7 gallon container. http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Aqua-Tainer-7gal/dp/B000KA2LNY

It's on sale at our local Fleet Farm for $8.99

__________________
JLo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 01:41 AM   #22
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,263
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLo View Post
I've also found this 7 gallon container. http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Aqua-Tainer-7gal/dp/B000KA2LNY

It's on sale at our local Fleet Farm for $8.99
I've been using those as fermenters for quite some time now, they work just fine so no need to worry. I just drill out the air inlet for a blow off tube and call it a day. If you're tight on space and cannot fit an airlock then just leaving the cap a little loose will work just fine.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)
wyzazz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #23
scotched
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pasadena, California
Posts: 323
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Glad you were able to make it fit JLO.

Are those aqua-tainers made of a rigid material, or does it "flex" in the flat areas when you set it on the ground/pick it up. That seems like an awesome deal.

__________________
Goonie's tube|soundcloud|
-
Fermenting: Edwort's Wounded Knee IPA (no-chill), XH Limeade #3
Serving:
nada
scotched is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #24
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,263
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotched View Post
Glad you were able to make it fit JLO.

Are those aqua-tainers made of a rigid material, or does it "flex" in the flat areas when you set it on the ground/pick it up. That seems like an awesome deal.
When full they flex a bit, they are not as rigid or as thick as a bucket. I'd say they flex about as much as a better bottle.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)
wyzazz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 05:29 AM   #25
scotched
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pasadena, California
Posts: 323
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I decided to pick one of these up today (instead of the 7gal aqua-tainer):



I'm not sure how well this will work, given the shape. But it's worth a try.

__________________
Goonie's tube|soundcloud|
-
Fermenting: Edwort's Wounded Knee IPA (no-chill), XH Limeade #3
Serving:
nada
scotched is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011, 02:47 AM   #26
JLo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Woodbury, MN, Minnesota
Posts: 96
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

So far I'm not loving the Vittle Vites container. Here are some of the key areas:
1. It does not flex as much as much as the AquaTainer - good thing
2. It is shorter and provides enough room for a multi-piece air lock - good thing
3. Requires permanent modification to lit to use as fermenter with airlock. - neutral
4. When full is ackward to carry - bad as I almost dropped it a couple of times
5. Lots of little cracks in the lid area. - very bad and hard to clean.
6. Lubricant required on O-Ring, I'm using Keg Lube - neutral
7. Easy to tape thermal probe to corner of fermenter - good

Overall I'm going to try using the AquaTainer for fermenting and use the VittleVites for grain storage. Even though this container met the dimensions I was looking for the wort trapped between the lid and container is freaking me out.

__________________
JLo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011, 05:20 AM   #27
scotched
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pasadena, California
Posts: 323
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Personally I'd rather apply a semi-permanent layer of silicone sealant on the O ring, than deal with the keg lube every time.

Are you getting krausen seeping through the lid? How do you know you're not getting a good seal?

__________________
Goonie's tube|soundcloud|
-
Fermenting: Edwort's Wounded Knee IPA (no-chill), XH Limeade #3
Serving:
nada
scotched is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011, 06:52 AM   #28
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
emjay's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 12,694
Liked 1712 Times on 1601 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLo
So far I'm not loving the Vittle Vites container. Here are some of the key areas:
1. It does not flex as much as much as the AquaTainer - good thing
2. It is shorter and provides enough room for a multi-piece air lock - good thing
3. Requires permanent modification to lit to use as fermenter with airlock. - neutral
4. When full is ackward to carry - bad as I almost dropped it a couple of times
5. Lots of little cracks in the lid area. - very bad and hard to clean.
6. Lubricant required on O-Ring, I'm using Keg Lube - neutral
7. Easy to tape thermal probe to corner of fermenter - good

Overall I'm going to try using the AquaTainer for fermenting and use the VittleVites for grain storage. Even though this container met the dimensions I was looking for the wort trapped between the lid and container is freaking me out.
I wouldn't ferment in one either, but at least you didn't waste that money. Vittles Vaults and Gamma Seal Lids (the same lid, but sold for use with standard 12-inch diameter buckets) are the absolute best grain-storage solution available, bar none.
__________________
emjay is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #29
JLo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Woodbury, MN, Minnesota
Posts: 96
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I did get a good seal on the Gamma Lid, but instead of oxygenating I shook the container to aerate and that deposited a layer of wort between the threads, it's probably sanitary but just weird for me.

__________________
JLo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #30
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jkarp's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Elizabeth, CO
Posts: 2,105
Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLo View Post
So far I'm not loving the Vittle Vites container. Here are some of the key areas:
1. It does not flex as much as much as the AquaTainer - good thing
2. It is shorter and provides enough room for a multi-piece air lock - good thing
3. Requires permanent modification to lit to use as fermenter with airlock. - neutral
4. When full is ackward to carry - bad as I almost dropped it a couple of times
5. Lots of little cracks in the lid area. - very bad and hard to clean.
6. Lubricant required on O-Ring, I'm using Keg Lube - neutral
7. Easy to tape thermal probe to corner of fermenter - good
So, in reality, your only complaint is the lid is hard to clean? Toss it in the dishwasher.
__________________

Many Bothans died to bring you this information.

jkarp is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rectangular false bottom? rcrabb22 Equipment/Sanitation 7 10-31-2011 03:18 PM
What are the disavdantages to using a rectangular cooler for a MLT? fuzzybee Equipment/Sanitation 13 03-17-2010 10:03 PM
Rectangular cooler for MLT?? xcap Equipment/Sanitation 1 04-08-2009 07:00 PM
How do I Build a False Bottom for Rectangular MLT? KMOX Equipment/Sanitation 5 08-10-2008 10:44 PM
Rubbermaid 10 Gal. or 48 Quart Rectangular MLT? BREW N QUE Equipment/Sanitation 11 12-05-2007 03:17 PM