Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Recommendations for a tankless water heater
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #41
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 917
Liked 85 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

That looks fantastic. Can you ask your wife to rub some of her saintliness off on my wife please?

Does a move up to a 50gal system indicate an intention to go Nano?

__________________
Jukas is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #42
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,057
Liked 170 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas
That looks fantastic. Can you ask your wife to rub some of her saintliness off on my wife please?

Does a move up to a 50gal system indicate an intention to go Nano?
Sure can! Hope it works! Did you ever get your conical? We finally got the machined blocks back for the tri clamp conicals and should have them together in the next couple of weeks. I'm thinking about using mine as a yeast brink as I'll need 3 gallon starters with the new tanks.....
__________________
marcb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 02:08 AM   #43
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 917
Liked 85 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb View Post
Sure can! Hope it works! Did you ever get your conical? We finally got the machined blocks back for the tri clamp conicals and should have them together in the next couple of weeks. I'm thinking about using mine as a yeast brink as I'll need 3 gallon starters with the new tanks.....
I ended up order a brewhemoth with all the bells and whistles. Just waiting on a few more parts to come in and I'll be ready for it's virgin batch.

Ironically I think I'm only a few bucks short into this product of what you offered me your 14gal B3 for
__________________
Jukas is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 03:40 AM   #44
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,057
Liked 170 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas

I ended up order a brewhemoth with all the bells and whistles. Just waiting on a few more parts to come in and I'll be ready for it's virgin batch.

Ironically I think I'm only a few bucks short into this product of what you offered me your 14gal B3 for
Lol, that happens quick, I've helped a couple of friends get the temp control going on those. Let me know when you get all the pieces in....did you get the immersion coil? I love that they are pressurized as you can use it as a bright too!
__________________
marcb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #45
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,057
Liked 170 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

How crazy is crazy?

image-3968642936.jpg  
__________________
marcb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #46
MaxOut
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hughesville, Maryland
Posts: 713
Liked 59 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb
How crazy is crazy?
Looks like your a Moorbeer preferred customer for sure!!
MaxOut is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #47
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,057
Liked 170 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOut

Looks like your a Moorbeer preferred customer for sure!!
Lol, you could say that! I only bought the fermenters new and only with 'beer money' (like poker money) from selling other stuff that I built. I've been on a tear though, last year this time I bought my first all grain setup which was a second-hand three tier rig for all grain. Within two months I had already built a Brutus 10 and in May I bought the used flat Morebeer stand. Now up to 50 gallon pots! In the pic is 22 gallons of Pliny in final dry hop stage and 11 gallons of Apple/cranberry cider.
__________________
marcb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 10:32 PM   #48
barryfine
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 138
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfine View Post
I found this propane powered tankless hot water for $200 and ordered it. It's normally $280 so I couldn't resist.

http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=219061279

Here is the manufacturer's website.

http://www.eccotemp.com/eccotemp-l10...-water-heater/

It looks like you need this extra part to get over 140, but it was only $10

http://www.eccotemp.com/l10-overtemp-sensor/

Hopefully it will come before the weekend and I can do some testing and report back. I don't expect to be able to sparge directly from it, but it should at least be able to give my HLT a big head start.
Sorry for the delay in updating you guys, but I had some difficulties getting this thing working and I don't brew too much in the winter since I brew in a detached garage with no heat.

I did a double brew day yesterday and this hot water worked incredibly well! I was able get water from 50 degrees to up 180 degrees! I could probably sparge directly from this hot water heater, but without it being digital controlled I don't trust it maintaining a steady temperature.

Still, it saves a ton of time because I can fill my HLT with water at nearly sparge temp. Having a sink with hot water for cleaning throughout brew was also a huge upgrade.

Now that I can get water at basically sparge temp right away, I'm going to setup my HLT to be electric. I figure a small 110V heat stick will be enough to increase it 10-15 degrees in a reasonable amount of time and maintain that temp as needed.

Here are a few pics from my brewday yesterday:

Filling up my Hot Liquor Tank from my propane powered on demand hot water heater. It can get water up to close to 180 degrees!



The brewhouse. Boil Kettle on left. Mash Tun in the middle. Hot Liquor tank on the right. Sink and Hot water heater to the right of that and glass carboys getting cleaned in front of the sink.



Filling up a carboy with White IPA. *(We covered the carboy with a towel right after this pic to protect from UV.



Close up of the wort chiller and inline oxygen injection system.



Recirculating the mash while heating up sparge water.



Pumping wort into the boil kettle while sparging into the Mash Tun.

__________________
barryfine is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #49
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,057
Liked 170 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfine View Post
Sorry for the delay in updating you guys, but I had some difficulties getting this thing working and I don't brew too much in the winter since I brew in a detached garage with no heat.

I did a double brew day yesterday and this hot water worked incredibly well! I was able get water from 50 degrees to up 180 degrees! I could probably sparge directly from this hot water heater, but without it being digital controlled I don't trust it maintaining a steady temperature.

Still, it saves a ton of time because I can fill my HLT with water at nearly sparge temp. Having a sink with hot water for cleaning throughout brew was also a huge upgrade.

Now that I can get water at basically sparge temp right away, I'm going to setup my HLT to be electric. I figure a small 110V heat stick will be enough to increase it 10-15 degrees in a reasonable amount of time and maintain that temp as needed.

Here are a few pics from my brewday yesterday:

Filling up my Hot Liquor Tank from my propane powered on demand hot water heater. It can get water up to close to 180 degrees!



The brewhouse. Boil Kettle on left. Mash Tun in the middle. Hot Liquor tank on the right. Sink and Hot water heater to the right of that and glass carboys getting cleaned in front of the sink.



Filling up a carboy with White IPA. *(We covered the carboy with a towel right after this pic to protect from UV.



Close up of the wort chiller and inline oxygen injection system.



Recirculating the mash while heating up sparge water.



Pumping wort into the boil kettle while sparging into the Mash Tun.

Looks awesome! Nicely done. I'm completely convinced that a tankless water heater is one of the best investments you can make. I'm designing one into the new brewery I'm building for strike/sparge and also recirc loop for step mashing/temp maintenance. At the size I'm working on here it is more cost effective and takes up way less space to install one of these permanently than use a hot liquor tank.
__________________
marcb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #50
barryfine
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 138
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Thanks Marc! That means a lot coming from you. I'm following your other thread pretty closely because I'm looking to go bigger as well.

How do you plan to use the tankless hot water heater to heat up your mash? Once I switch my HLT to digital electric control, I'm just going to add a herms coils. My issue with HERMS before was that it would take so long for my HLT to get up to temp after striking that it would be pointless. Since I can get it to the correct temp out of the tap it solves that problem for me.

I still don't want to do away with my HLT, but if I bought a nicer tankless with digital controls I think I'd be confortable with that.

__________________
barryfine is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tankless Water Heater & Mash Temp Jknapp General Techniques 79 11-04-2013 11:10 PM
Tankless water heater for fly sparging? WoweeZowee DIY Projects 38 12-06-2012 11:13 PM
tankless water heater question fulchitis Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 08-06-2011 05:58 PM
Can anyone recommend a portable tankless water heater? spiny_norman All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 1 08-02-2011 01:16 AM
Anyone use an Eccotemp tankless water heater? happyinsonoma Equipment/Sanitation 11 05-05-2011 03:36 PM