Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Recommendations for a tankless water heater

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 05:35 AM   #21
mikescooling
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Can't you guys turn you water heater up and get the same affect? Just don't forget to turn it back!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #22
hillhousesawdustco
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I'll be interested in how that little tankless heater does, so please check back in when you get 'er rolling. I get that it is for a "cabin" but it is too bad there isn't an option to hook up to juice rather than just having a D cell-powered ignition. Also kind of annoying to be "outdoor installation only." Still for $200 that looks like a pretty easy solution for you.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:25 AM   #23
barryfine
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillhousesawdustco View Post
I'll be interested in how that little tankless heater does, so please check back in when you get 'er rolling. I get that it is for a "cabin" but it is too bad there isn't an option to hook up to juice rather than just having a D cell-powered ignition. Also kind of annoying to be "outdoor installation only." Still for $200 that looks like a pretty easy solution for you.
I'll definitely report back my findings. The D batteries probably last for a really long time since they are only used for ignition. The advantage with this, is I can be mobile with it. I can use if for camping as well as brewing. I don't think I'm going to do a permanent installation, but rather just build a stand for it. I'm sure I can run it inside my garage with the door open, just like I do my burners.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:32 AM   #24
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Still a work in progress but I pulled the trigger on a used tankless water heater setup on CL last week, I will post updates but I am expecting around 3GPM of 160 degree water out of this thing. It is a propane Noritz nr66-OD, we'll see how it works out. Planning on mounting it to a cart and bolting on a water filter as well. Net is that I am hoping to shave off an hour or so off of my brew day and have always available hot water for cleanup.

image-4195855655.jpg  

Old 01-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #25
Doctor_M

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 131

I plan on utilizing one but am hoping to use a ro filter.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #26
marcb
Recipes 

Stitched up most of this today and with the factory setting was getting about 3GPM of 140 degree water. Adding the Walter filter this week and a ball valve for flow control. I need to call the Noritz tech support to find out how to set it for 160 and I will be all good. Total cost on this is about $600 for the used heater, cart and parts but given the endless supply of hot water I expect to shave an hour plus off of brew days and no longer need a bucket heater for cleaning water so it is worth it for me!

image-2329533420.jpg   image-4273959806.jpg  

Old 01-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #27
marcb
Recipes 

Used this today to wash and sanitize kegs today. This thing is super impressive and runs really quiet. Will have new water filter assembly tomorrow. Found out today that 1/2" silicon tubing was a bad choice to put under muni water pressure : ). Made a huge water weenie that I was able to shut off before it exploded 140 degree water all over the place...... I need some hi temp reinforced hose for the outlet that can handle the pressure as I want to be able to control output at the kettle. Also fired it up tonight to scrub my conical with no issues!

image-274243582.jpg   image-3491081053.jpg  

Old 01-22-2013, 01:36 AM   #28
barryfine
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb View Post
Used this today to wash and sanitize kegs today. This thing is super impressive and runs really quiet. Will have new water filter assembly tomorrow. Found out today that 1/2" silicon tubing was a bad choice to put under muni water pressure : ). Made a huge water weenie that I was able to shut off before it exploded 140 degree water all over the place...... I need some hi temp reinforced hose for the outlet that can handle the pressure as I want to be able to control output at the kettle. Also fired it up tonight to scrub my conical with no issues!
I really like your cart solution! I think I might steal your idea! Unfortunately, the one I purchased refuses to light and is driving me nuts.

I did figure out a good solution for a hose that can handle high pressure and hot water. Stainless Steel washing machine hose. I wouldn't put wort through it because it'd be tough to sanitize the braids, but I think it's perfect for just hot water.

btw, I love the term, "water weenie". I've made that mistake before and it's a perfect description.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:25 AM   #29
marcb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfine

I really like your cart solution! I think I might steal your idea! Unfortunately, the one I purchased refuses to light and is driving me nuts.

I did figure out a good solution for a hose that can handle high pressure and hot water. Stainless Steel washing machine hose. I wouldn't put wort through it because it'd be tough to sanitize the braids, but I think it's perfect for just hot water.

btw, I love the term, "water weenie". I've made that mistake before and it's a perfect description.
Thanks! I'm hoping to move this concept to a new brewstand one of these days with a tankless attached to a stainless cart with a couple of 50 gallon kettles for mash and boil kettle. I think your unit is the eccotemp, I looked at those and was tempted but decided to go with a used larger name brand unit instead because of all the bad press those things get on amazon plus the flow rate was less than I was after. Has it ever fired? If so I read that they have some protection circuit that cuts it out after twenty minutes to keep it from melting.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:33 AM   #30
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I sell tankless water heaters for a living and rep for a large tankless company. There are a few factors to consider... #1 where in the country are you ? you need to consider what is called a delta T which simply means if you have 50 degree ground water and want to heat to 160 degrees you have a 110 degree delta T. This effects how much continous capacity the water heater will produce. A very general rule of thumb is that in the north east you will get somewhere between 4-5 gallons a minute in the south these things rock and can produce upwards of 9 gallons of water as their delta T is so low and they may have a 70 degree ground water temp. Also by federal safety laws to go over 135 degrees you need to get a master controller additionally that will allow you to go hotter. This is to prevent scalding. Lastly whichevef brand you choose do not believe the advertised continous production label do the delta T and look at the curve charts they provide on the website you may need more than one tankless. Some good brands to look at are Rannai #1 ... #2 noritz... #3.... for economy bosch or takagi though you get what you pay for in this category. best of luck pm me if you have any questions.

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Quick Reply