Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Recommendations for a tankless water heater

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
FredTheNuke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Yes recirculate the same water with a 4500 watt rims tube. 2 elements if u want
$120.00

Sour Fermentations In Progress:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps05852f14.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ
People on the site have made rims tubes that were able to heat sparge water to 170. That would probably be a lot cheaper option than a commercial tankless.
I thought about that and it is still an option, for that to be viable though I'd need to add casters on my brewstand (it's wheelbarrow style now) to haul it outside as there is no way I could move it with two full 26 gallon kettles on top with a rims setup. I like the concept though. I would also need a BCS or timer to kick it off early enough with pumps to get it to temp by the time I wanted to brew.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
tochsner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a Bosch tankless water heater that runs on gas. I have the flush kit installed in the bottom so I can run a hose from a tap through a carbon filter to the inlet side. I then run a food grade vinyl reinforced hose from the outlet side to my brew kettle. I have endless hot water that way. The only drawback is the highest I can set my heater is 140* and I wasn't able to find a household size heater that would do more than that. But 140* water instead of 55* water shortened my brew day quite a bit.

Tony

Rescue Dog Brewing

humann_brewing Likes This 
Old 10-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #14
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tochsner
I have a Bosch tankless water heater that runs on gas. I have the flush kit installed in the bottom so I can run a hose from a tap through a carbon filter to the inlet side. I then run a food grade vinyl reinforced hose from the outlet side to my brew kettle. I have endless hot water that way. The only drawback is the highest I can set my heater is 140* and I wasn't able to find a household size heater that would do more than that. But 140* water instead of 55* water shortened my brew day quite a bit.
That's exactly the sort of feedback I'm looking for, would you mind sharing the model number?

Old 12-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #15
Tondi007
Recipes 

I second Marcb's request. I am looking to do something similar.

Did you install the flush kit & hose outlet yourself? What does that look like?

I rent and old victorian in San Francisco. Wiring is shot so I can't use heating elements above 1,500w. Looking to use my already installed nat. gas tankless to speed things up.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #16
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb View Post
I have normal house gas line and a 240v 50A circuit so either gas or electric. I've looked at several models, just looking for some advice before I plunk down 1K + on a heater. Heating 60 degree ground water now takes a long time with my propane rig so anything would be an improvement. An endless flow of 160 degree water would allow me to go nuts on brew day with back to back brews and cleanup.... I'm totally open to either gas or electric and looking to see if anyone has any experience with brewing with these. Thanks!
I visited Yakima Craft Brewing company and I know they were using a tankless water heater for their brewing water, and it was coming out at the 170 range.

You could try contacting them to see what kind of rig they have. They are doing like 3bbl batches at least a couple of years ago they were when I was there.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #17
hillhousesawdustco

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 24

My sister has a commercial Rinnai model (propane) that does a heck of a job for her home AND her honey extracting facility. I'll check the model # next time I'm up there. I thing you change the output temp with jumpers...so that could be a pain.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #18
Bsquared

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I've looked in to this fairly extensively regrading Rinnai heaters. I have a RL75 natural gas unit. It requires a dedicated 3/4" water line input and a 3/4" dedicated gas connection, plus a 20A 120VAC connection.

The residential controllers will limit you to 140ºF, but you can get a commercial controller for these units and get 165-185ºF water depending on the unit. for my unit the RL75 my max water temp is 165. with the RL94 I believe you can get water out at 185º

My BIG disclaimer, is that it is really easy to forget you have the water heater cranked up past 140, which can result in very bad burns if your SWMBO decides to take a shower when you are brewing.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #19
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tochsner View Post
That is an awesome idea, we are building a home and it comes with a Rinnai tankless water heater so I am finding out what model it is and see what I can do. Most likely it is the lowest one by them being "contractor grade" but we'll see

Old 12-05-2012, 04:59 AM   #20
barryfine
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I found this propane powered tankless hot water for $200 and ordered it. It's normally $280 so I couldn't resist.

http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=219061279

Here is the manufacturer's website.

http://www.eccotemp.com/eccotemp-l10...-water-heater/

It looks like you need this extra part to get over 140, but it was only $10

http://www.eccotemp.com/l10-overtemp-sensor/

Hopefully it will come before the weekend and I can do some testing and report back. I don't expect to be able to sparge directly from it, but it should at least be able to give my HLT a big head start.

Quick Reply