New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > recommendations for HLT & keggle diptube assemblies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
elpresidente
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default recommendations for HLT & keggle diptube assemblies

Hello,

I am currently converting 2 sanke kegs over for the HLT and boil keggle to get another step closer to all grain, woohoo! I already have all the ss valves but I was wondering if there were any recommendations for the diptube setups for both?

I found a bunch of different ways that people have done it. My basic assumption for the HLT is to have a straight copper tube from the coupling with a 90 bend towards the middle/bottom. For the boil keggle I have seen the "bazooka t", the mesh hop stopper, the ss brillo pad approach, etc. Which route should I go? I like the bazooka t idea, it looks pretty clean and simple...I just want something that will not give me too much of a hassle and is efficient because I read a few threads where people have had trouble from hops getting clogged, etc. Any input appreciated, thanks!

Seasoned Rips Brewery

Last edited by elpresidente; 01-05-2010 at 11:28 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 02:54 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For the HLT you have the right idea.

For your kettle, I like the method I found on these forums. I haven't been able to find it again, but I'll try to explain it.

You basically have a copper piece that extends about 3-4" into the keg from the ball valve. There's a copper 'T' attached to the end of the 3-4" piece.

You'll need to then add an inch or so piece of copper to each end of the 'T'.

Then add 90* elbow to each end of the extentions and aim them toward the side of the keg. They should be at about a 45* angle toward the bottom side of the keg. Add another copper tube to each of the 90* elbows and get them as close to the side of the keg as you can without actually touching the keg. This will prevent any hops from getting in and it's great because you're acually sucking the wort from the side instead of the center where all the break material settles.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 01-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
elpresidente
Recipes 

That sounds like a possiblity too, I am honestly not sure which way to go...there are so many different options. Can you find some pictures of the setup you were talking about?

Seasoned Rips Brewery

Old 01-06-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've been looking around for one and can't seem to find it. When I brew this weekend, I'll try and remember to snap a picture of mine.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 01-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 31 Posts

I use a dip tube to the bottom center of everything. Filter the hops with a hanging hop bag and you can suck every ounce out of your BK.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
annasdadhockey
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
For the HLT you have the right idea.

For your kettle, I like the method I found on these forums. I haven't been able to find it again, but I'll try to explain it.

You basically have a copper piece that extends about 3-4" into the keg from the ball valve. There's a copper 'T' attached to the end of the 3-4" piece.

You'll need to then add an inch or so piece of copper to each end of the 'T'.

Then add 90* elbow to each end of the extentions and aim them toward the side of the keg. They should be at about a 45* angle toward the bottom side of the keg. Add another copper tube to each of the 90* elbows and get them as close to the side of the keg as you can without actually touching the keg. This will prevent any hops from getting in and it's great because you're acually sucking the wort from the side instead of the center where all the break material settles.
Here's the one I made that is similar to what you describe. Note the trub cone from the whirlpool stays untouched in the middle,
I also capped the ends of the copper and drilled 3/6" holes inthe caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Old 01-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #7
elpresidente
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky View Post
I use a dip tube to the bottom center of everything. Filter the hops with a hanging hop bag and you can suck every ounce out of your BK.

That actually seems like the most easiest way to both filter out particles as well as siphon out the most liquid when ready...I will probably go this route and just create 2 dip tubes the same way for both the HLT and Boil Keggle with the 90* angle straight down to the middle bottom.

Are there any drawbacks to doing it this way?

Seasoned Rips Brewery

Old 01-06-2010, 06:10 PM   #8
elpresidente
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by annasdadhockey View Post
Here's the one I made that is similar to what you describe. Note the trub cone from the whirlpool stays untouched in the middle,
I also capped the ends of the copper and drilled 3/6" holes inthe caps.
This seems like another great option too if you would like to make sure you siphon without the trub, but is that really neccessary? What about a hybrid with the hop bag and this dip tube? That sounds like a great setup.

P.S. this "whirlpool" you are talking about is that just swirling the wort with a spoon of some sort?

Seasoned Rips Brewery

Old 01-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #9
annasdadhockey
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpresidente View Post
What about a hybrid with the hop bag and the this dip tube? That sounds like a great setup.
That's what I'd do if I had a huge hop bill, or even if I used leaf hops

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Old 01-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
flananuts

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a SS dip tube that 90's down to the bottom of the keggle base. I took a bazooka screen and cut it down so it fits over the tube for a couple inches. I use the lil sparky treatment for hops. I leave no more than a cup full of wort at the bottom when done. Almost all the hop material stays in the paint strainer bags and I don't worry too much about the cold break. I do like the whirlpool method in the pic above.

Quick Reply