Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Recomend a digital thermometer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 06:37 PM   #41
PTisch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieb2101 View Post
I just purchased one of these from Amazon and I've got very high hopes for it.

Very curious as to how well this thermometer works. Have you used it yet?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 03:43 AM   #42
stars1
Recipes 

My previous Cooking Digital Thermometer with Sensor Probe like: http://www.uxsight.com/product/14036...n-cooking.html this one. The description stated it could be widely used for air conditioning, food Processing, Heating and ventilating, Agriculture, automobile, photography, food storage, refrigeration, brewing, pharmaceultical, energy management! But I've only used it for cooking meat.
My next choice is similar with original one, but much cheaper than it. Like: http://cgi.ebay.com/Food-Temperature...item5ad8ba889c it.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:24 AM   #43
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrush View Post
Just bought one of the 2 K-type thermometers from ebay for $27 shipped. I'll update this thread when I get the thermometer in the mail.
Hey, just going through this thread... said you would update when you got it. How long did it take? Hows it working out for ya?

Old 05-13-2010, 02:34 PM   #44
ScottyBones

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

REALLY happy with this Traceable Mini i got from PE. small, very accurate and water resistant. the only problem, however, is that it's a little pricy, and the cord for the temp probe is rated to only 122F. so i have to consciously try to avoid submerging it. Traceable® Mini Thermometer with NIST Certificate

Quagmire: "lets play drink the beer!"
Peter: "what do i get if i win?"
Quagmire: "another beer!"
Peter: "Oh man, i'm going for the high score!"

Old 05-18-2010, 06:38 PM   #45
Tanagra
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldc View Post
Thermapen.
+1 for the Thermapen.

I did my first All-Grain batch in March, and just completed my fourth batch last Saturday. I bought the floating thermometer, and a weldless Brewmometer that I installed in my 7.5Gal brewpot.

The floating thermometer is a JOKE. At room temperature it is accurate, but when boiling water in my brewpot, the Brewmometer AND my friend's Termapen BOTH read 211°F (I am ~700ft above sealevel, so this reading was accurate) and the floating thermometer read 229°F! I couldn't believe that a thermometer made especially for this purpose could be so erroneous. I bought a Thermapen the next day.

Especially when checking my mash temperature in my 6Gal Igloo cooler (which I cannot do with my Brewmometer), the thermapen works like a CHAMP! Nearly instantaneous, ACCURATE temperature readings at the very tip of the probe means I can 'stab' different areas of my mash and check the readings until I am satisfied.

Normally, I add ~2° to my strike water and then give the mash a GOOD 1 minute stir. I check my temps and stir to cool, if necessary. When the temperature drops to 1° above the mash temp I want, I close the lid and wait. When my 60-90 minute mash is done, I uncover, stir, and check the temperature again before adding my mash-out water. The temperature has always been less than .5° below my target.

Although expensive, in a world where the difference in a few degrees changes the properties of beer so drastically, I think that the Termapen is the single most 'necessary' tool to have for hitting your temps each time, every time.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #46
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Although expensive, in a world where the difference in a few degrees changes the properties of beer so drastically, I think that the Termapen is the single most 'necessary' tool to have for hitting your temps each time, every time.
While I agree with the idea of this, I bought a separate waterproof probe and meter from Thermoworks for mashing, so that I can put the probe in the mash and monitor my temps without opening the MLT to check on it. I found that opening my cooler to check temps was the #1 cause for it dropping during a mash.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:36 PM   #47
BadgerBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

FYI - those floating thermometers are not meant for boiling tempatures. I made that mistake on my first one and the red wax in the bottom melted and all of those black beads got loose! I then looked closer at the description of the product and sure enough..."Temperature range: 0-220 F (-10 to 110 C). Length: 9" (23cm)"....... oops

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Old 05-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #48
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBrewer View Post
FYI - those floating thermometers are not meant for boiling tempatures. I made that mistake on my first one and the red wax in the bottom melted and all of those black beads got loose! I then looked closer at the description of the product and sure enough..."Temperature range: 0-220 F (-10 to 110 C). Length: 9" (23cm)"....... oops
I don't know where you live, but around here my wort boils pretty close to 212F. Are you in a hyperbaric chamber? Maybe brewing on a submarine?

Old 05-18-2010, 08:53 PM   #49
BadgerBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Nice catch It would be kind of cool brewing in a submarine though...

The other description I found was "The most popular thermometer in brewing, perfect for all-grain. Range 0-110 C, or 20-212 F". Regardless, it might measure up to boiling or slightly above boiling temps, but it by no means should be left in the boil as that wax WILL melt and your thermometer will be useless. I use my new one only for the mash cooler, and use a Polder digital for everything else.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Old 05-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #50
hukdizzle
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
I'm somewhat of an veteran on this, having been burned by two $40 digital waterproof (but not heatproof past 122f, I found out) thermos. After being told that I wast stupid for not "knowing" that the sheathing on those thermometers was only rated to 122f, even though none of the literature said so, and subsequently writing a scathing letter to the company, they gave me a refund for both failed thermometers. When I spoke to the company that made the failed ones, they said that those were not good for beer brewing, and recommended a "Type K" thermocouple.

So with my refund $$ from the previous failed ones, I purchased this indicator:

...and a type-K probe (scroll down to "PTFE/FEP Tip Probes", I bought model #113-372-T):

I drilled a small hole in my mash cooler lid to feed the probe into the mash, and have been very happy with it. You can find the indicator and probe for less $$ on eBay, but after all those failed thermometers, I wanted the peace of mind of a supplier-backed warranty.
I use this exact setup and so far it works perfectly.

Quick Reply