*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Recomend a digital thermometer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #31
lieb2101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I just purchased one of these from Amazon and I've got very high hopes for it.

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." - Helen Keller

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2010, 07:41 PM   #32
chrisrush
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just bought one of the 2 K-type thermometers from ebay for $27 shipped. I'll update this thread when I get the thermometer in the mail.

Barrel 1: Jim Beam
Primary 1: DFH 60' IPA (10g)
Primary 2: AHS Shiner Clone (10g)
Keg 1: AHS Pumpkin Ale
Keg 2: AHS Imperial Oktoberfest/Marzen
Keg 3: Munich Helles
Keg 4: Golden Celeia Pilsner
Keg 5: Chocolate Stout
Keg 6: Witguy Bier

Old 04-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #33
SnallygasterBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

The probe length on the Thermapen is only about 5", so are you able to switch out the probe? With the way it's designed it looks like that probe is the only one that will work with it, so is a 5" depth reading good enough for mash temp accuracy? I saw the MTC replacement model for the plug-mounted Thermapen... anyone have a recommendation for this one?

Old 04-18-2010, 05:08 PM   #34
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastarine View Post
I'm buying a thermapen. I'm not even biting on the sale price for the old ones, I am going for the splash proof, 0.1*F resolution, shiny new bulletproof one.
Not to say this is the norm. I have the splash proof Thermapen and was using it to check the grain temp after grinding the grain. I grind my grain directly into the mash tun and then stick the Thermapen in the grain and leave it for a few to get a reading. Then I pump the strike water into the bottom of the mash tun and stir. As I was stirring something green caught my eye. WTF I thought. Turns out its my Thermapen. I wiped it off with a damp cloth to get rid of any stickiness. That was about 4 months ago and it's still working fine!

Old 04-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #35
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnallygasterBrewery View Post
The probe length on the Thermapen is only about 5", so are you able to switch out the probe? With the way it's designed it looks like that probe is the only one that will work with it, so is a 5" depth reading good enough for mash temp accuracy? I saw the MTC replacement model for the plug-mounted Thermapen... anyone have a recommendation for this one?
Thermoworks, the makers of the Thermapen, make a huge variety of probes and meters. I bought one of these handheld meters along with a couple of different probes; a "penetration" probe like the one in the Thermapen, and a long waterproof wire probe that I can just stick in the mash tun and close the lid to monitor mash temps. Both sensor and probes are instant read, just like the Thermapen.

Of course, I also have a Thermapen. I use all of them regularly. Probably one of my most-used items in the kitchen.

Last edited by weirdboy; 04-18-2010 at 05:55 PM.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #36
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Yeah, I use my thermapen all the time, more than worth the money. I never use it for brewing (except maybe for rehydrating dry yeast which I usually only use for mead and cider). So if someone has a brewing purpose for it, rest assured you will have many other purposes.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:40 PM   #37
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I am trying to find a probe one which can also be used monitoring temps while cool meat and dishes in the oven as well as brewing. Would this Cole-Parmer (and or ebay knockoff) be able to do that, would different probes be necessary? Could the cord withstand oven temps, as well as being closed in the door?

All ones I've seen targeting with probe are all non-waterpoof and non-heat proof. I've been trying to find the perfect solution.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #38
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Thermoworks, the makers of the Thermapen, make a huge variety of probes and meters. I bought one of these handheld meters along with a couple of different probes; a "penetration" probe like the one in the Thermapen, and a long waterproof wire probe that I can just stick in the mash tun and close the lid to monitor mash temps. Both sensor and probes are instant read, just like the Thermapen.

Of course, I also have a Thermapen. I use all of them regularly. Probably one of my most-used items in the kitchen.
I have one of those also with the wire probe, and yesterday it was pretty finicky. It looks like I mashed hotter than I planned, and the meter needs a new battery. Hopefully, that is all that it needs.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #39
BadgerBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I used to use the floating thermometers in my 10 Gallon Home Depot MLT and would just lift the lid to check/monitor the temp. Worked great for about 10 batches and then busted (thankfully not in the MLT) in boil keggle while I was heating strike water. I never realized that those floating thermometers are not meant for boiling temps.

I am interested in knowing how the folks that use the Thermoworks unit with the heavy duty wire probes (39" #113-372) keep the wire in the mash. Wouldn't it float on top of the mash? Or do you push it in when you stir? Seems like a solid solution if it works well. I would rather not drill a hole in the side of the cooler if I can avoid it, so a hole in the lid to run this wire seems pretty good.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:55 AM   #40
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBrewer View Post
I used to use the floating thermometers in my 10 Gallon Home Depot MLT and would just lift the lid to check/monitor the temp. Worked great for about 10 batches and then busted (thankfully not in the MLT) in boil keggle while I was heating strike water. I never realized that those floating thermometers are not meant for boiling temps.

I am interested in knowing how the folks that use the Thermoworks unit with the heavy duty wire probes (39" #113-372) keep the wire in the mash. Wouldn't it float on top of the mash? Or do you push it in when you stir? Seems like a solid solution if it works well. I would rather not drill a hole in the side of the cooler if I can avoid it, so a hole in the lid to run this wire seems pretty good.
Although I did have problems with it on the last brew, I can attest to the fact that the wire does not float in the mash, and that it is thin enough that it can easily sneak into the kettle with the cover on. I am going to replace the battery and try another probe, but if it continues to give me problems I will report back.

I also bought a couple of lab thermometers so that I can double check the digital one. I am pretty annoyed that the thermometer flaked out on my first all-grain attempt.

Quick Reply