Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Recomend a digital thermometer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #11
MikeG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
I'm somewhat of an veteran on this, having been burned by two $40 digital waterproof (but not heatproof past 122f, I found out) thermos. After being told that I wast stupid for not "knowing" that the sheathing on those thermometers was only rated to 122f, even though none of the literature said so, and subsequently writing a scathing letter to the company, they gave me a refund for both failed thermometers. When I spoke to the company that made the failed ones, they said that those were not good for beer brewing, and recommended a "Type K" thermocouple.

So with my refund $$ from the previous failed ones, I purchased this indicator:

...and a type-K probe (scroll down to "PTFE/FEP Tip Probes", I bought model #113-372-T):

I drilled a small hole in my mash cooler lid to feed the probe into the mash, and have been very happy with it. You can find the indicator and probe for less $$ on eBay, but after all those failed thermometers, I wanted the peace of mind of a supplier-backed warranty.
This looks to be the simplest method of watching water/mash temps. Did you have to modify the probe in any way to be water proof or is everything ready to go right out of the box?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 07:37 PM   #12
mklawz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I'm somewhat of an veteran on this, having been burned by two $40 digital waterproof (but not heatproof past 122f, I found out)
Out of curiosity, are you referring to the Traceable Waterproof Thermometer??? I just found out the same thing. Fortunately they sent me a new one, and I wont leave it in the mash and/or the boil next time.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:46 PM   #13
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

This one gets my vote and it comes with a probe and storage case:

Handheld Thermocouple Meters And Cole-Parmer Workhorse Thermocouple Thermometer - Cole-Parmer Catalog

$38.46 plus shipping. It's a bargain.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #14
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklawz View Post
Out of curiosity, are you referring to the Traceable Waterproof Thermometer??? I just found out the same thing. Fortunately they sent me a new one, and I wont leave it in the mash and/or the boil next time.
Yep, that's the one. My bitching and moaning also resulted in the following disclaimer being put on the product page in red font...

"Note: The cord can only withstand temperatures of 122 degrees. This cord should not be submerged in liquids higher than 122 degrees."

They still say that it's good for brewing, though...even though when I spoke to the woman at Control Company, who makes that thermometer, she said that it's actually not good for brewing at all. Meh. At least I got that disclaimer on there. I still can't believe that douchie tech support guy tried to say that it's "common sense" that the sheathing is only rated to 122f.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
This looks to be the simplest method of watching water/mash temps. Did you have to modify the probe in any way to be water proof or is everything ready to go right out of the box?
No, that probe that I got is waterproof (I think all type K probes are, actually...it's just a loop, one wire down, u-turn at the end, one wire coming back up), and is also heatproof up to like 500f or some crap. The indicator is water-resistant. I didn't mod anything, except for the tiny hole I drilled in my cooler lid to run the probe through.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 04-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #15
mklawz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Yep, that's the one. My bitching and moaning also resulted in the following disclaimer being put on the product page in red font...
Wow, idiots. A guy there told me that only the metal probe part is waterproof. Uh, yeah well no sh*t, its a piece of metal. With that kind of logic every thermometer is waterproof! I also griped that nowhere did I see it stating that the cable would not work up to 150* (mash temps). I admit I shouldnt have used it to check my wort temps (from boiling on down), but for crissake it should be able to withstand 150*F for that price.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #16
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Wow, idiots. A guy there told me that only the metal probe part is waterproof. Uh, yeah well no sh*t, its a piece of metal. With that kind of logic every thermometer is waterproof! I also griped that nowhere did I see it stating that the cable would not work up to 150* (mash temps). I admit I shouldnt have used it to check my wort temps (from boiling on down), but for crissake it should be able to withstand 150*F for that price.
I wonder if it was the same douchewhistler that I talked to. Argued with that asshole for 15 minutes...he kept telling me that everyone knows that the cable isn't rated for above 122f. How? Uh, because, it's common sense. Really? So the guy essentially called me an idiot for not knowing a piece of information that is not published anywhere. I was hot, man...so finally I asked him what he was going to be able to do for me, and he said "all I can do is tell you not to submerge the probe in the future". I hung up, wrote a scathing email to their customer service dept., and a nice lady called me a few days later and apologized profusely, and refunded my money for both failed units.

Some people should just not be on the "customer service" side of operations, you know?

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 04-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #17
mklawz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Dude that sucks, I hate experiences/service like that. But they were much nicer on me. I emailed them and told them that I was having erratic readings, I replaced the battery but it made no difference. They asked my application. I told them mashing @ 150F. They told me it cant do that. I told them that it didnt state anything about the cables limitations.

well, I found the email, here is what he said in the last exchange. The tone of the email exchange was courteous and professional. And I was very happy they replaced the unit. However, I am not happy that it cannot do what I want it to. I want to leave it in mash and leave it in the cooling wort. This was very recent, like 2 weeks ago (I just got the replacement on Friday). You must have wore him out and he was easier on me!

Thank you for purchasing Control Company products.
>
>
>
> In terms of your application, only the stainless-steel probe can be
> immersed in the hot liquid, not the cable. It is waterproof, but
> anything over 50°C can damage the cable. Also, if the liquid has any
> other materials/chemicals in it, you may want to check on the affect
> the chemical has on soft PVC.
>
> We will send a no charge unit this time, but next time the damage
> would be considered user damage.
>
> If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.
>
>
> Sincerely,
>
>
> Jason Molina
> Technical Sales

Old 04-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #18
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Dude that sucks, I hate experiences/service like that. But they were much nicer on me. I emailed them and told them that I was having erratic readings, I replaced the battery but it made no difference. They asked my application. I told them mashing @ 150F. They told me it cant do that. I told them that it didnt state anything about the cables limitations.

well, I found the email, here is what he said in the last exchange. The tone of the email exchange was courteous and professional. And I was very happy they replaced the unit. However, I am not happy that it cannot do what I want it to. I want to leave it in mash and leave it in the cooling wort. This was very recent, like 2 weeks ago (I just got the replacement on Friday). You must have wore him out and he was easier on me!

Thank you for purchasing Control Company products.
>
>
>
> In terms of your application, only the stainless-steel probe can be
> immersed in the hot liquid, not the cable. It is waterproof, but
> anything over 50°C can damage the cable. Also, if the liquid has any
> other materials/chemicals in it, you may want to check on the affect
> the chemical has on soft PVC.
>
> We will send a no charge unit this time, but next time the damage
> would be considered user damage.
>
> If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.
>
>
> Sincerely,
>
>
> Jason Molina
> Technical Sales
Well, yeah...that's much better than what I experienced, but then, that's probably because your tech support rep is also one of my favorite musicians (must be his second job).

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 05-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #19
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
No, that probe that I got is waterproof (I think all type K probes are, actually...it's just a loop, one wire down, u-turn at the end, one wire coming back up), and is also heatproof up to like 500f or some crap. The indicator is water-resistant. I didn't mod anything, except for the tiny hole I drilled in my cooler lid to run the probe through.
I'm kind of curious as to the use of the thermometer in the cooler lid (MT?). Once the cooler lid is closed, you're just using the thermometer just to watch the temps...do you do any adjustments based on the temp or is just to confirm your process is done correctly?

I'd like to use the thermometer in heating up my strike water, any problems with this in a SS pot? Opening the lid and sticking in a prob and waiting for it to measure the temp sucks, I'd rather keep a constant watch to know exactly when I hit my desired temps. Should I buy a 2nd K probe, one for the heating and one for the cooler to watch the MT?

Thanks!

Old 10-23-2009, 03:23 AM   #20
Kelly.
Recipes 

it looks like some of these are on back order / not available.

anyone else have any suggestions for a good digital thermometer.

Cloud 9 Brewing

Quick Reply