The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Recirculation Return Line help please.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2010, 01:13 AM   #1
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default Recirculation Return Line help please.

I need to design a recirculation return for my Sanke MLT. I really don't need anything as elaborate as a sparge arm, and I'm leaning heavily towards just laying the silicone hose on top of the grain bed. I did this with a rectangular cooler, and turned-up the end in the corner. Since the keg has no corners, I'm not sure how I can keep the output from tunneling into the grain bed. The blichman sparge-arm has a little foam collar that keeps the end floating at the right level. Where can I get one of these collars?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2010, 03:50 AM   #2
Catt22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I bet you could make a float like that out of some Styrofaom without much trouble. A cork maybe? Heck, an empty yeast vile might even work as a float or possibly a short section of cpvc capped at both ends. Use some wire ties to attach the float to the tubing.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
Reelale
Recipes 

I like the cork idea, or styrofoam cups....something not likely to leach nasties into my mash.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

I read somewhere that Blichman uses a short piece of Pipe Insulation for the float. The kind you get for waterlines from the big box stores. That brought up the question of whether the stuff is "Food Grade"

I have a coupling near the top of my MT and a piece of silicone tubing for a return. I'm also looking for a float (still not 100% about the pipe insulation). I've though of a couple short pieces of 3/4" copper with caps on each end to act a pontoons.

Ed

Old 10-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
Budzu
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

I use a single tube return into my keggle mash tun, and it has not needed any kind of float. My technique is just to use a long piece of thermoplastic tubing (it is stiffer than silicone or vinyl even when hot), making sure it is long enough to come into the MT, and then circle around the inside almost one full revolution. The stiffness of the tubing holds it steady against the wall of the MT, wherever I chose to put it. I submerge the end by about 1", and recirculate almost wide open.
It stays put against the side, and I can then use it to determine water level consistency during fly sparging.

Floats are just not necessary and don't allow the functionality I have now grown accustomed to.
You can kind of see the thermoplastic tubing in these pics, and the flow is visible atop the mash while the recirc tube is partially submerged but stable.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

3/4 x 1/2 silcone tubing for me and it just sits on top of the mash, nothing to engineer at all.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #7
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4604 Times on 4299 Posts

Another float un-necessary here.

I find it better to keep the wort out end under the water level as it also keeps the foaming down to a minimal or non existant.

I have never experienced any channeling so long as the outflow doesn;t creat a HUGE vortex. Even then, the channeling is kept to the filter bed surface.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:17 AM   #8
Reelale
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies. I just tried the hose in the keg, and it looks like it will work sans float.

Quick Reply