Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Recirculating Mash Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The OP never did say if he had a direct fire-able tun or if it was a cooler or otherwise insulated. In any case, on a homebrew scale, without any way to add heat back in, I wouldn't advise a full time recirculation. There is no benefit and yes, it would be more heat loss than if the mash just stood static inside an insulated tun.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #12
wailingguitar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 461

You're fine doing that fly... just make sure you're pumping from a grant of some sort rather than directly from the runoff line, it's possible to stick your runoff that may.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 02-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #13
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wailingguitar View Post
You're fine doing that fly... just make sure you're pumping from a grant of some sort rather than directly from the runoff line, it's possible to stick your runoff that may.
It's easier to put a valve on the output side of the pump and limit how much wort flows through.

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #14
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post
It's easier to put a valve on the output side of the pump and limit how much wort flows through.

MC
There is truth in that... and even with a grant you need to have something to regulate flow on the OUT side of the pump. I am kind of on the fence because it can be a pain finding the sweet spot to balance runoff speed to pump speed with a grant system... but it can also be a real PITA if you suck a vacuum on your lauter. Having used both styles on both large and small systems I feel that the runoff tends to be more consistent and less prone to sticking with an open grant. *shrug* both work and, as with most things, there is a trade off

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 02-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #15
fletchsj
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

With todays malted barley you don't actually have to mash for an hour anymore. The grain companies are getting complete conversion in their labs within 5 minutes. I've moved away from the long mash times and now do a 20 min mash with a 20min recirc. I see improved efficiency and save time doing it. I've never had a batch yet that wasn't converted completely. My 2 cents. Even when recirc I don't lose much more than 5 degrees in that 20 min. And, if you ate mashing at say 152 you are still within conversion range if you indeed lost 5 degrees. I would totally recommend recirc. I use a rubbermaid cooler too. With a pvc sparge arm.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #16
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchsj View Post
With todays malted barley you don't actually have to mash for an hour anymore. The grain companies are getting complete conversion in their labs within 5 minutes. I've moved away from the long mash times and now do a 20 min mash with a 20min recirc. I see improved efficiency and save time doing it. I've never had a batch yet that wasn't converted completely. My 2 cents. Even when recirc I don't lose much more than 5 degrees in that 20 min. And, if you ate mashing at say 152 you are still within conversion range if you indeed lost 5 degrees. I would totally recommend recirc. I use a rubbermaid cooler too. With a pvc sparge arm.
Sounds about right... I go 35-45 minutes from mash in to kettle as well. Fletch is also correct about conversion times. Every malt analysis I ever received from Briess or Great Western showed conversion in 10 minutes or less.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:38 AM   #17
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wailingguitar View Post
Sounds about right... I go 35-45 minutes from mash in to kettle as well. Fletch is also correct about conversion times. Every malt analysis I ever received from Briess or Great Western showed conversion in 10 minutes or less.
Y'all are gonna have to show me some proof on that. I was brewing at a brewpub in SC in July of 2011 and we were showing a starch-positive test at 60 minutes.

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:22 AM   #18
wailingguitar
Recipes 

If I had a lot analysis handy, I would be happy to provide it. Barring that, how about an article by the late, great Greg Noonan? Scroll down to "starch conversion".

http://brewingtechniques.com/bmg/noonan.html

You could also always call Briess or Great Western and ask for a sample Lot Analysis...

Old 02-08-2012, 04:40 AM   #19
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Here is a sheet from Weyerman's for a Munich malt... note saccrification time

http://libertybrewing.co.nz/files/We...1-20080109.pdf

Old 02-08-2012, 04:52 AM   #20
fletchsj
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post
Y'all are gonna have to show me some proof on that. I was brewing at a brewpub in SC in July of 2011 and we were showing a starch-positive test at 60 minutes.

MC
being that you are in SC it's going to be tough to prove... I suppose it is possible that you don't get complete conversion, as we don't know what malts you were using, or the equipment you were using it on. I do know that I use a lot of GWM, Best Malz, Breiss, and Weyermann like I'm sure many of us are using. I use a fairly standard grind (as my LHBS does my crushing and storage.ie grain ledger) I use 2 keggles and a 10 gallon rubbermaid mashtun fitted with a mesh tube and cpvc homemade sparge arm. and recirc with a chugger pump through silicone lines. So that said, very standard stuff... I mash between 148-152. I like a loose mash and generally add roughly 6 gal of h20 for a standard beer (1.055 - 1.070) Like I said above I mash for 20 min then hook up the pump and start to recirc. With it being so loose I am pretty much able to run it full tilt. I recirc for 20 min or so. then sparge. add another 4ish gal and get my second runnings. after about 5 min or so (the time it takes to light my boil kettle and make sure all is in working order and take a grav reading) all said and done I get my beers for ferment fully down to good levels 1.005 or so pretty regularly.

Now could I get another point or so by letting it sit for another 40 minutes? maybe? not real sure because I've tried iodine tests and they say I'm fully converted. I dont have a lab or do I really care. I do know that if you are concerned you should talk to your LHBS for a copy of the malt analysis.

I used to do the same thing most do and mash for an hour or so, but after hearing otherwise I tested and went from an hour to 45 min, then to 30 min, then to 20 min. I might be able to swing shorter but by the time I'm ready to recirc 20 min has passed. long and short is if you feel comfortable or curious try it and see. happy mashing :-)

Quick Reply