Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Recirculating Mash Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
flyfishnc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Recirculating Mash Question

Any downside to recirculating wort in the mash tun with a pump? I don't have a RIMS or HERMS system, as I use a single infusion mash and fly sparge. Currently, I vorlauf into a pitcher (and pour it carefully back into the MLT) until the wort is clear. I didn't know if there would be a lot of heat loss while recirculating or if it would be enough to do affect the beer. I'd have to throttle down the output of the pump a good bit.

Thoughts?

Eric

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 940 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I don't think the benefit of wort clarity is worth the effort, power, and heat loss you'll experience in a non-heated system. Even if you wanted to start integrating a pump into your system for other reasons, I'd only use it in the last 5 minutes to vorlauf.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 425

Commercial systems don't heat their vorlauf lines, if you want to do it, go for it

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 02-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1141 Times on 926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wailingguitar View Post
Commercial systems don't heat their vorlauf lines, if you want to do it, go for it
Commercial systems generally use heat jacketed tuns to maintain temperature, so any heat lost in the recirc plumbing can be accounted for...

Cheers!

Old 02-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Commercial systems generally use heat jacketed tuns to maintain temperature, so any heat lost in the recirc plumbing can be accounted for...
The brewpub I briefly worked at never used the steam jacket on the mash tun. 90 minute mash and no heat loss. Recirculate about 10-15 minutes.

This is what I got after 10-15 minutes of (pumped) recirculation while brewing a marzen this wk-end (home system):

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post

Cheers!
I have brewed on at least 11 commercial systems from 1bbl to 50 bbl, only 3 had steam jackets on the mash tun and they were never used. Misplaced Canuck's experience with the place he worked is typical. The tuns were insulated, yes, but then most home mash tuns are as well.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 02-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
RGingerelli
Recipes 

I recirculate during my entire mash. I use a keggle as my mash tun with a pico false bottom with a honeywell furnace valve and a PID to keep the mash right at the right temp. and recirculate the whole time. Never had an issue and really helps with clarity pre boil/hops, for post boil clarity I use a brewers hardware trub filter. So Go for it, try it out and see how you like it. It works well for me. Just my $0.02.

Conical #1: Second Runnings IPA
Primary #1-8: IIIPA
Secondary #1-8: Empty

Kegged/On Draft: Holidazed, Bee's ah Buzzing Honey Pale Ale, Nancy's Irish Red
Bottled: Holidazed, Over The Hop 2, Cherimoya Wheat, Watermelon Wheat Squared
On Deck: Lime Ale, Bourbon Barrel Aged Vanilla Porter, Watermelon Wheat, Raspberry Wheat, Rose Belgian Blonde Sour, Watermelon Lambic

Facebook Page:
www.Facebook.com/BungeesJumpinBrewingCo

Old 02-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Well, look who came out of hiding... Hi RG!

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 02-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 77

I recirc through out mine as well. While I have no automation, I monitor the temp and fire the MLT as needed.

My Stumps BBQ Clone Build

Old 02-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
flyfishnc
Recipes 

My mash tun is a 10 gallon cooler and not fired. So, I couldn't re-heat when temps drop. I recently bought a pump and was going to try to expand its use into the mash steps. You know, gotta try to show a little ROI to SWBO. I would only be using it for a few minutes to vorlauf, not recirc the entire mash.

Quick Reply