The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Really clear silicone tubing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #41
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigt85 View Post
I believe you're right, we use Cole Parmer Masterflex Platinum tubing at work on our peristaltic pumps, and it seems softer and slightly more translucent than the tubing I've seen is sold online at the major homebrew stores. YMMV though. On a side note, anyone know a good way to get rid of stains on tubing? After running a stout though my tubing recently it seems to be darker in color
These stains are permanent. I tried to flow fairly strong caustic through the lines at one point to try to abate this staining without luck. If caustic won't fix it, not much else will...
On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #42
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamandster View Post
That's awesome... I would use that for a "sight glass"...
Bobby, do you have any comment on stamandster's remark? I was thinking the same thing.
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Nothing Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Oktoberfest (ECY15) On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/05/05
Untappd: barrooze

Old 12-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #43
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I don't see any reason why not. To use silicone as a sight glass, you'd want to put a bulkhead in on the top and bottom probably based off my high flow elbarb. It would end up being more expensive than the WLSL kit due to the 1/2" NPT fitting sizes. It would be more manageable via 1/4" NPT parts but that would require smaller silicone tubing.

If I had to build this right now, it would be about $14 each for the top and bottom bulkhead, about $4 in silicone, and then $3 for the clamps.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 12-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #44
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I don't see any reason why not. To use silicone as a sight glass, you'd want to put a bulkhead in on the top and bottom probably based off my high flow elbarb. It would end up being more expensive than the WLSL kit due to the 1/2" NPT fitting sizes. It would be more manageable via 1/4" NPT parts but that would require smaller silicone tubing.

If I had to build this right now, it would be about $14 each for the top and bottom bulkhead, about $4 in silicone, and then $3 for the clamps.
I was thinking of using the high flow elbarb as well, but just 1 and using an eyebolt on top like you do for your standard sightglass. Would there be enough thread on the elbarb for 2 locknuts, at least 1 SS washer, a silicone o-ring, and a 1.2 mm thick kettle wall? (I should probably just go with the WLSL kit, huh? )
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Nothing Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Oktoberfest (ECY15) On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/05/05
Untappd: barrooze

Old 12-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #45
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Silicone tubing isn't stiff enough for an eyebolt to hold it upright. It's basically got to be stretched between two barbs. The ELbarb has female threads so I'd make it weldless with a 1/2" to 3/8" hex bushing, SS washer and silicone gasket.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply