The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Rain Water In Wort After Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2011, 04:46 AM   #1
TippleToper2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Rain Water In Wort After Cooling

I was chilling my wort outside. I went out and it was lightly raining into my kettle with the wort around 75F. Any thoughts on whether this can/will cause bacteria issues. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 04:50 AM   #2
hillhousesawdustco
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Well....can't do much about it now!

Seriously, yeah that obviously raises the chance of bacteria issues compared to rain NOT falling into your cooled kettle....but, there are plenty of people here who have had all sorts of crazy stuff fall in their kettles without ill effect. Might be the best Rainwater Brew you ever manage! Relax, and have a brewski. Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:54 AM   #3
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippleToper2 View Post
I was chilling my wort outside. I went out and it was lightly raining into my kettle with the wort around 75F. Any thoughts on whether this can/will cause bacteria issues. Thanks.
I would not worry about it at all. More than likely some tiny bit of bacteria got into your wort, but the yeast should be able to easily overwhelm it. Our wort is probably almost never completely 100% free of contamination. This is one reason why it is a good idea to pitch a generous amount of healthy yeast. This gives you a leg up on the bad guys. Now then, relax etc and don't do that again!

Old 05-17-2011, 05:15 AM   #4
chipsah
Off the Wagon Brewing

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

+1 to not worrying about it. There is probably just as much bacteria flying around your brew space. I know that I routinely stand over my brew pot as it cools and probably breath all kinds of crazy stuff into the brew (H1N1 stout and Bird Flu Pale Ale anyone???). I guess that if the rainwater was pouring off your dirty roof you might have grounds for concern.

-r

Off the Wagon Brewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn_Brewer View Post
My theory is that OCD is only a disorder if you don't know how to channel it.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

I pulled a wasp and and half a dozen flies out of a cooling batch once, with no infection. You are probably good to go. If not, it happens.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My last batch had dripping rain off the trees while chilling. Also had an unsanitized digital thermometer fall into the chilled wort. Things happen when you teach a new brewer ya know. Covered the BK with foil when I started chilling to keep the rain from dripping in. Hey don't take the foil off while I get some things organized ok. He answered OK, came out and his face was looking in the kettle. He said, " I couldn't help it, it smells so good." Not the first time things have fallen in the chilled wort and all have been fine.

Are You Going to Drink all That?

Old 05-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
brewmcq

Recipes 

Liked 460 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 2504

I've had various types of precipitation fall into cooling/cooled wort.. nothing bad happened.

What do YOU want out of this hobby? It's your hobby. Do it the way YOU want to do it. Don't depend on the rest of us to tell you how to do it.

Quick Reply