Racking arm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooldood

Reaction score
I was wondering what everybody is using for a racking arm on the plastic conicals and how far up from the bottom to drill.
I apologize if this has been answered before.

I am now gathering parts for my racking arm build. I also would like to know how high to drill hole from bottom of conical. I have a 35 gallon. For the racking arm I am going all stainless, I will install a 1/2 weld less ball valve. I understand that the gaskets on the weld less fitting if tightened just right allow the entire assy to rotate against plastic conical. Inside I will tighten the valve gaskets w a 1/2 FPT to 3/4 MPT reducer bushing. I will then bend a piece of 3/4 tubing and install it on the 3/4 bushing using a ferrule and compression nut that is made for 3/4 tubing. The idea w using 3/4 is to get a nice flow rate.This will all be stainless, and in theory should work. I have found all the parts on line, but have not purchased yet. When I build it I will post pics. Again, I'm not sure how high to drill hole from bottom, if I dump the trub and yeast, it prob doesn't matter much, does it? Any input is appreciated.

If you're dumping everything and then turning the racking tube I would mount it about 4-5 inches up from the bottom.

However, if you're racking before dumping the yeast I'd do a batch first, see where your approximate yeast level is and drill a few inches above that.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ok, makes sense. I will be dumping before racking. Thank you for the input.....

Back