Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Quitting brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007, 10:18 PM   #1
rohanski
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Quitting brewing

I'm taking a couple of months off of brewing because I can't stop the infections. I the last ten batches I have had only two good ones. I have tried everything, going to all glass, getting back to just the basics such as ne aeriation or starters, bleach, idophor, and last but not least oxiclean and starsan. I know this won't go over well with this crowd but the starsan seemed to be food for the infections. My last batch was a pale ale which I have brewed many times. It came out pumpkin orange, tastes sour and had the bandaid flavor. The worst ever. I thought it was the bread box so I got rid of it and sanitized the whole kitchen with starsan including the floor.

Right now I am doing DME but plan on switching to AG the first of the year and moving into the garage. I suspect there is something in my house and it's all over. It's hard to stay isolated one room because my house is pretty large and has very open spaces. I've taken all of the suggestions from threads in the past, even turning off the A/C. Hell I'm so clean I could do surgery on the kitchen table. Has anyony ever overcome such an infection problem?

I have one more starter and ingredients to do one more batch. Any last suggestions before I brew the last bad batch?

I think I might have a new beer style. It's called a Sour Rohambic!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2007, 10:21 PM   #2
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Where are you? Is there anyone around you? Please put down the carboy and step away from the ledge!

Ok, really where are you? I think if you live close enough to a fellow brewer that can come and do a batch with you maybe he/she could see something you've missed along the way. We'd hate to see you give up but I can understand the frustration.

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 10-18-2007, 10:24 PM   #3
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Unreal. 8 out of 10 is a sign. YOu have something you gotta fix. Your air in your brew area? Animals? Do you touch your beer at all after the boil? Your bottling equipment (prime suspect)?

Old 10-18-2007, 10:25 PM   #4
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Maybe try brewing outdoors? I would also give everything a good soak in bleach over night and then rinse off. What are you using for top up water or are you doing full boils?

Old 10-18-2007, 10:27 PM   #5
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Try purchasing spring water instead of tap. Use vodka in your airlock. Sanitize your bottle caps and bottling wand.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:32 PM   #6
thooper41
Recipes 

just a guess but maybe hes not doing full boils and topping off with something in the water. try doing some batches with store bought water just to see if it cures the problem.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:33 PM   #7
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Man that sucks, I found I can be very unsanitary(compared to some people) and nothing goes wrong (yet).

Old 10-18-2007, 10:35 PM   #8
JustDave

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

John Palmer wrote an article for the latest issue of BYO. He plays a Brew Scene Investigator and is called to investigate an infected batch. It gives a humorous view of the different types of infections and their causes, so you might want to pick up a copy and see if anything in there applies?

Old 10-18-2007, 10:37 PM   #9
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by thooper41
just a guess but maybe hes not doing full boils and topping off with something in the water. try doing some batches with store bought water just to see if it cures the problem.
This sounds like a very likely culprit, especially if you're using well water without boiling it first in order to top up.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad run of brews! Hopefully you can work this out!

Old 10-18-2007, 10:45 PM   #10
Photopilot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I feel and share your pain. I had brewed in the past and had one bad batch out of 20 and it was my 3rd batch that went wrong and it was obvious what went wrong.

2 out of 3 of my recent batches went have had bacteria blooms in my secondary. Its heartbreaking. I am pretty sure the bad batches are a result of the air in the previous place i lived in, or the tap water I used to top off. Since the bacteria came during secondary I assume it was the air though.

I know I am going to be super careful on the next batch. I don't think I can afford any more bad batches financially or spiritually.

Good luck in solving this.

Quick Reply