Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Quick and dirty hydrometer sanitization?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #11
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4752 Times on 4381 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Fermentec makes a thief large enough to put the hydrometer in but still small enough diameter to steal from a carboy. Great idea.

I just like the process of spinning the hydro in the cylinder.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 04:16 PM   #12
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Fermentec makes a thief large enough to put the hydrometer in but still small enough diameter to steal from a carboy. Great idea.

I just like the process of spinning the hydro in the cylinder.
I have this theif and hardly ever use it. It has a little fluid pressure activated valve at the bottom that still allows beer to leak out when it's full of fluid. The large portion of an autsiphon works in the same way and I prefer to use it instead. I would rather have a basic, no moving parts, sample thief than the fermentec one.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #13
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scut_Monkey View Post
It has a little fluid pressure activated valve at the bottom that still allows beer to leak out when it's full of fluid.
Yes it does, which is my favorite part - although I don't get more than a few drops leaking.

I like to use a test jar for my sample for several reasons - most notably that I can put it down - and having that valve at the bottom makes it easy and mess-free to get the beer into it.

I don't have to hold onto the thief/autosiphon with one hand while taking the measurement (and dripping on the floor) with the other, which is convenient. I also find that I get a lot of foam in the top of the thief when I take a sample, which makes it hard to get an accurate reading. With a test jar, I can let it settle and take a hydro reading at my convenience.

Personal preference. Here's how I do it - click thru for HD if you like:

[youtube]5DlQgomUc54[/youtube]

-Joe

Old 10-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #14
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4752 Times on 4381 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scut_Monkey View Post
I have this theif and hardly ever use it. It has a little fluid pressure activated valve at the bottom that still allows beer to leak out when it's full of fluid. The large portion of an autsiphon works in the same way and I prefer to use it instead. I would rather have a basic, no moving parts, sample thief than the fermentec one.
I wonder if yours has a flaw in the plastic moulding at the valve seat or something because mine leaks very little. A drop or two at most.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:07 PM   #15
MikeP
Recipes 

fancy boxers! LOL (1:25)

Old 10-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #16
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

LOL I was waiting for someone to comment on that They're actually pajama bottoms that my wife made for me. They've got tools on them

-Joe

Old 10-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #17
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgia View Post
Yes it does, which is my favorite part - although I don't get more than a few drops leaking.

I like to use a test jar for my sample for several reasons - most notably that I can put it down - and having that valve at the bottom makes it easy and mess-free to get the beer into it.

I don't have to hold onto the thief/autosiphon with one hand while taking the measurement (and dripping on the floor) with the other, which is convenient. I also find that I get a lot of foam in the top of the thief when I take a sample, which makes it hard to get an accurate reading. With a test jar, I can let it settle and take a hydro reading at my convenience.

Personal preference. Here's how I do it - click thru for HD if you like:

-Joe
True, it is a preference thing. To use it as a hydrometer test jar would be very hard to do and inconvenient in my eyes. To use it as a thief it works ok but if you aren't gravity testing with it a simple plastic or glass thief works well also. Unless you have to bounce it up and down to get more fluid in it like you mention. If that's the case the fermentec thief is a good option but the outside tube of an autosiphon does the exact same thing although it does not let you decant the sample as easily.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #18
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
I wonder if yours has a flaw in the plastic moulding at the valve seat or something because mine leaks very little. A drop or two at most.

Good question. I'll have to take a look at it when I get home. Perhaps that plastic push valve has some imperfections to it. I just got tired of dealing with it and found the autosiphone portion worked just as well for me.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:44 PM   #19
Chemiker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacharias View Post
When I check the S.G. of my brews to see how they're coming along, I just sanitize my hydrometer in the little plastic tube that it comes in, does anyone else do this or do you guys have suggestions that work better? I thought about using starsan and a spray bottle but it doesn't seem worth it on such a small piece of equipment.
I do the starsan and spray bottle you mentioned, but it's not that much work. I make a gallon at a time with distilled water, fill up a Home Depot squirt bottle, and keep it around. No need to dump it since I used distilled water. So it's always available to sanitize hydrometers, autosiphon, etc.

Primary: Air
Secondary: Lil Sparky's Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: TOM 12:44 Wheat Ale
Bottled: Helles Yeah Bock

Old 10-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #20
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

I use a baster and find it to work great.

Quick Reply