Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Quick beginner sanitation question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
robinsond
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll be soaking my caps as I use them...the oxygen barrier will hopefully hold on. If I notice problems with my brew, I'll look at that aspect as a factor first.

-Dave

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
wittmania
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
I sanitize the O2 absorbing caps. I put the number I need in a small bowl of sanitizer and pull them out as I bottle each beer placing them on top. When I'm finished I crimp all the caps and call it done.
This is fine... if you don't mind wasting extra money on the oxygen caps. The oxygen absorbing compound is activated by getting it wet. When you sanitize them, they are (theoretically) pulling in some oxygen from the environment, but not from within your bottles. This is why you are supposed to cap them dry, turn them over, and then set them back on their bottoms. Wetting the cap is what activates the oxygen absorption.

If you are bottle conditioning, then the yeast will almost certainly use up any oxygen left in the neck of the bottle. If you bottle off of a keg, as I do, you may want to invest in the better caps and, if you do, don't sanitize them.

Given the fact that your caps are going on a sanitized bottle that is now filled with an antibiotic, alcohol rich substance, there is very little reason (other than paranoia) to sanitize your bottle caps, even if they are the "plain" ones.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
robinsond
Recipes 

Hmm maybe I won't then...I've got a lot to learn! And decide on. I guess some of it is personal preference, but if the people who don't sanitize the caps aren't having an issue, it seems as if it is in fact an extra step

Quick Reply