Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Questions about March Pumps answered by the Factory!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #471
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterAtMarchPump View Post
Sorry for the late reply....for some reason i wasnt getting any emails notifying me of any new postings...
Anyway part number you are looking for is 0809-0196-0600
that would give you an 815-PL with base and 6' cord (inline version)
if you want the center inlet version then it would be 0809-0196-0800

We do have a stainless version but its the center inlet style...not the inline sorry
Thanks Walter. Can you give me the part numbers for the SS heads with the center inlets? Thanks a bunch.
On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 02:28 AM   #472
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 245 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:

From what i know about VFD....it only works right on 3 phase motors
For these single phase units you would need some sort of PWM...but ive never really looked into it before. Some of our customer do get into things like this but you are talking about place thats have a big budget for playing around....like Honeywell, Culligan, and IBM

I would think having some sort of a ball valve with a stepper motor setup or the sorts would be easier to do and probably cheaper....but i dont know...
Thanks Walter. Yeah most vfd are 3 phase but you can use the priciple for single phase (if I understand correctly. I will look at PWM as I think hat will give better and easier control.
Cheers!

Old 03-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #473
WalterAtMarchPump
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrenarzt View Post
Thanks Walter. Can you give me the part numbers for the SS heads with the center inlets? Thanks a bunch.
part# is 0809-0150-0000

-Walter

Old 03-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #474
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

These come with the impellers and everything or just heads? Can you get heads with 815 impellers pre-installed? Is the center inlet 1/2 or 3/4 NPT?

Sorry for all the questions but I'd like to get my ducks all in a row before ordering. Thanks for your help.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 03-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #475
WalterAtMarchPump
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

That part number was for the pump head alone....no parts inside just bare.
We don't carry a complete assembly as these are not ones to go bad....unfortunately you would need to buy the parts individually. The nice part is if you have an existing 809, you can reuse the rear cover and shaft and all you would need is the o-ring (0809-0165-1000) and the impeller (0809--0107-0200)

-Walter

Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #476
nickdahl
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default March BC-4K-MD

Hello Everybody,

Just joined this site, and love the great information, but I do have a question.

I bought a 3 BBL brewery from a warehouse sale: the pump included was a March BC-4K-MD. I have never seen this system operate, so I'm wondering what they were using this pump for, as it is rated for 200*F they may not have pumped boiling wort through it.

Is there a way to upgrade this pump to handle boiling wort temperatures?

Thanks,

Nick

Old 03-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #477
WalterAtMarchPump
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahl View Post

Is there a way to upgrade this pump to handle boiling wort temperatures?

Thanks,

Nick
Yes and no......the series 4 pumps are the exact same pump as the series 5 physicly...the difference is inside with the impeller. You could buy the 5B pump head and it will bolt right up...but if you try and pump with it it would probably overload the motor and woudl overheat. If you wanted to make it work then you would need to take the 5B impeller and have the blade height milled down to match that of the series 4 pump and you would be in business.

-Walter

nickdahl Likes This 
Old 03-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #478
nickdahl
Recipes 

Quote:
Yes and no......the series 4 pumps are the exact same pump as the series 5 physicly...the difference is inside with the impeller. You could buy the 5B pump head and it will bolt right up...but if you try and pump with it it would probably overload the motor and woudl overheat. If you wanted to make it work then you would need to take the 5B impeller and have the blade height milled down to match that of the series 4 pump and you would be in business.
Thanks, Walter. Milling a 5B impeller sounds expensive and laborious.

With that understanding, would my pump work for recirculating 170*F wort and pumping it to the boil kettle, since its rating goes up to 200*F?

I presumed getting a second pump but I was thinking about an 815 for the home-brew RIMS system I'm building first. Are there any drawbacks to "overkill" when it comes to pumping? That is, would I have problems using a Series 5 pump on a keggle-based brewing system?

Thanks again,

Nick

Old 03-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #479
WalterAtMarchPump
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

if you have a local machine shop all they would need to do it chuck it up on a lathe and mill the blades down to 1/4" tall as the 5b impeller blades are 3/8" tall...shouldnt cost much at all...would take them less then 2 min to do it all.

But if you are only working with 170* liquids, then the standard pump will be just fine. The Kynar plastic we use on these pumps is FDA approved for potable water use.

Overkill with our pumps is usually easier to deal with then not having enough. When you have too big a pump with a mag-drive centrifical, you can choke the outlet to balance the system out, or we can trim the impeller to cut the flow rates and the pump can be made to run in a happy state. The right pump is usually determined by your setup and what you want to get out of it in the end. If you feel the 815 wont be enough then check out the AC-3B pump...its the next step up from the 815 and gives a little more output.

If you have any more questions or want to talk, just give me a call at work

-Walter

Old 03-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #480
nickdahl
Recipes 

Quote:
if you have a local machine shop all they would need to do it chuck it up on a lathe and mill the blades down to 1/4" tall as the 5b impeller blades are 3/8" tall...shouldnt cost much at all...would take them less then 2 min to do it all.

But if you are only working with 170* liquids, then the standard pump will be just fine. The Kynar plastic we use on these pumps is FDA approved for potable water use.

Overkill with our pumps is usually easier to deal with then not having enough. When you have too big a pump with a mag-drive centrifical, you can choke the outlet to balance the system out, or we can trim the impeller to cut the flow rates and the pump can be made to run in a happy state. The right pump is usually determined by your setup and what you want to get out of it in the end. If you feel the 815 wont be enough then check out the AC-3B pump...its the next step up from the 815 and gives a little more output.

If you have any more questions or want to talk, just give me a call at work
Thanks! I could buy a 5b impeller blade, have it milled to 1/4" tall, then replace the original blade with the 5b impeller blade? Then my pump would handle boiling wort? That sounds like a good option!

Nick

Quick Reply