New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Questions about March Pumps answered by the Factory!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #441
Wahoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Makes sense, thanks for the quick response!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #442
Lab_Rat
Recipes 

Walter: First, thank you for doing this. I am not sure if this has been asked before in this monster of a thread. I am planning on setting up a whirlpool in my kettle and use a march pump to recirculate my wort. Some people use a restricted (smaller O.D) outlet back into the kettle to increase the velocity of the pumped wort (like you would with a garden hose). However, from the description of the magnetic drive and how it acts as a clutch, is this even possible? If I restrict my outflow will my velocity increase or will the magnetic drive "slip" to reduce to reduce motor strain and thus keep the velocity the same?

Old 01-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #443
WalterAtMarchPump
Vendor
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

On a mag-drive you only want to restrict the outlet...never the inlet. Its a common misconception that the mag-drive acts like a clutch...it does and it doesnt......it wont "slip" in the sense that it will allow the impeller to move at a slower speed then the rpm of the motor....the rpm of the motor and the impeller are always at the same speed...but it can "break loose" like when you disengauge the cluch on your can and it allows the motor to free-wheel if the load on the mag-drive is too great. The thing is, it will not re-engauge untill you stop the motor and let the magnets re-align again to re-start.

When you restrict the outlet of the pump you slow the velocity of the liquid down going in/out of the pump...but you increase pressure and thus increase the velocity leaving the discharge point.

So if that confused you the simple answer is you can restrict the outlet side of the pump to get some more pressure. It wont slip.

-Walter

Old 01-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #444
Lab_Rat
Recipes 

That answered my question perfectly. Is the pressure at which the pump is rated to (give or take) also the point at which the magnetic drive disengages?

Old 01-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #445
WalterAtMarchPump
Vendor
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

No. The point at which the mag-drive slips is dependent on the torque of the magnets. In the case of the 809-HS models the magnets have a torque rating of 16 in/oz. So when you exceed that torque rating with enough stress on the impeller with some sort of resistance it will slip and de-couple.
The pressure at which they are rated to is for total system pressure...so if you were running these on a closed system that was pressurized....that's the max pressure the pump head can withstand.

-Walter

Old 01-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #446
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo View Post
Walter,
Attempting to do a toolbox install of my 815. I read what you said around Page 30 of this thread about offsetting the magnet on the shaft. When I take off the motor bracket, I can't seem to take the magnet off the shaft. It looks like there is a place for a set screw, but unless I'm missing something, it doesn't look like there is a set screw there! Despite this, I can't seem to slide or remove the magnet. See pic....

- What is going on that doesn't allow me to slide or remove the magnet?
- Does this even in fact have to be done? The toolbox is relatively thin (~1/32"?) and in most of the blogs and articles I've seen about this type of setup, offsetting the magnet isn't mentioned.

Much thanks!!!
My tool box was 1/16 and I didnt move my magnet and it works perfect

Old 01-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #447
WalterAtMarchPump
Vendor
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Cool!

-Walter

Old 02-05-2013, 12:56 AM   #448
Irrenarzt
HNIC
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Hi Walter. Can you suggest a March pump suitable for a CIP application? I'm going to be installing a new fermentation fridge for my old Blichmann conical that I hardly use since it doesn't have a good place to control temps. I'll be installing a CIP spray ball in the lid and the suggested pressure needed will be between 40-60 psi.

I was thinking I'll need a bit more than an 815 but I'd love to hear your thoughts for the correct pump for my application. I already have two 815's for my brewrig so it could be possible to use one of these but I would prefer to have a dedicated pump for a cart that I built for this as well as having a bigger standalone pump for a future expansion (i.e. if we move into a 3.5 bbl brewhouse/brewpub sort of deal). Thanks in advance.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #449
WalterAtMarchPump
Vendor
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Yeah, i went through this with another member that was trying something like this....unfortunately our pumps don't really make big pressure. First pump i have that can actually make 40psi would be our 8 series....its a 3hp 3 phase unit and can flow 125 gallons per minute....so it would be a BIT overkill for this!! LOL What you would need is some sort of positive displacement pump to make those pressure levels. Like a gear drive or peristaltic or diaphragm.

The other member was going to make a carboy cleaner...or was it a keg cleaner....don't remember. But anyway he was going to try and use an AC-5C-MD and place the outlet of the pipe as close tot he bottom of the vessel as possible to help distribute the fluids all over the bottom of it. But again i don't think there was enough pressure for him so i don't know what ever happened to his idea.

-Walter

Old 02-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #450
uberg33k
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Walter,

Any chance there will ever be a SS tri clamp head for the 809/815? I thought you guys used to have one, but it seems to have vanished. Who can I bribe or beg to make it happen?

Thanks.

Quick Reply