The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Questions about March Pumps answered by the Factory!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #421
clearwaterbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Walter is right, these are great pumps at high temps in a closed system. If you are trying to pump any liquid near its boiling point in an open system like brewing, however, your plumbing needs to be proper. Are you having problems only when the kettle is being heated and at 190? It is likely that spot boiling is causing small bubbles to be sucked into the inlet of the pump, which is at a partial vacuum.. Ideally, you would place your pump well below the bottom of your kettle and have the plumbing have no points that can form an air trap... (even a dip tube can hold air that causes pump problems, but the real culprit is usually a flexible line that goes up and down a little bit over other lines, cords, between brackets, etc... this is just a nightmare on the suction side of the pump) I have had good luck in having the plumbing go straight down, make a single U-band back up, and there is where I place the pump, with flow going vertically up, so if it gets an air bubble in it, it is very self-clearing... for the first year we used centrifugal pumps in homebrew, we cursed them... then we plumbed right, got our pump-chi, and have been going good for 10 years...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 02:13 AM   #422
malador
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Walter,

Could you please let me know the shaft diameter, bolt mounting pattern, and Max RPM of the AC-5B-MD pump?

I've found the "wet end" of that pump for sale online, and I'd like to fit it to a 3 phase motor.

thanks!

Old 11-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #423
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Walter welcome to HBT. I have one of your pumps and I love it.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 11-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #424
WalterAtMarchPump
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by malador View Post
Walter,

Could you please let me know the shaft diameter, bolt mounting pattern, and Max RPM of the AC-5B-MD pump?

I've found the "wet end" of that pump for sale online, and I'd like to fit it to a 3 phase motor.

thanks!
Shaft is 3/8" with a 9/16" flat for setscrew

bolt pattern on our motor actually uses a 10-32 stud on a 3.87/3.91" bolt circle set 90* appart sitting straight up but as long as you can get the holes on it close size wise you can get it to work

and RPM at no-load speed is 3450.....when running its around 3200

-Walter

Old 11-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #425
malador
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterAtMarchPump View Post
Shaft is 3/8" with a 9/16" flat for setscrew

bolt pattern on our motor actually uses a 10-32 stud on a 3.87/3.91" bolt circle set 90* appart sitting straight up but as long as you can get the holes on it close size wise you can get it to work

and RPM at no-load speed is 3450.....when running its around 3200
Awesome, I can make that work. One more question if you don't mind. What is the smallest 3 phase pump you make suitable for beer making? I want to order my pumps today, and just wanted to compare prices.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #426
WalterAtMarchPump
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Smallest 3 phase suitable for beer making? The smallest pump that starts in 3 phase would be our series 5.5 Unfortunatly we dont make that one in the polysulfone plastic....only Polypropylene and Kynar plastic....but you can get it in Stainless (TE-5.5S-MD)

And looking back....i didnt dawn on me till writing this that we do make the series 5 in a more industrial versions (The TE-5) they come with a 42 frame motor (Still not 3 phase though)...just make sure the motor you find has the same shaft dimentions as above....and the motor shaft 1" long from the mounting face to the end of the shaft....most off the shelf are longer....just take a hack saw and lop it off shorter

-Walter

Old 11-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #427
Deric
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Walter,

Any idea where the best place to get a few thrust washers is? I have 2 815 pumps and I noticed the last time I opened one up the thrust washer was very worn. Would like to get a couple to have on hand.

Thanks!

In dog beers I've only had one.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #428
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by malador View Post
Awesome, I can make that work. One more question if you don't mind. What is the smallest 3 phase pump you make suitable for beer making? I want to order my pumps today, and just wanted to compare prices.
Sorry to butt in here but is there any reason why it has to be 3 phase? As long as the pump can do what you want it to you should be able to drop a single hot leg to run single phase equipment , no? I would imagine that you would not need to go to single phase untill you were much bigger than the realm of a micro brewery, say 50 hL (just a guess )

Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #429
cscade
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Deric, The best place I have found to buy them is at William's Brewing - thrust washer

I keep a few on hand.

Seeker Brewing Co.
est. 2008
Build Thread - Blog

Old 11-28-2012, 01:13 AM   #430
LordUlrich
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2

Sorry to butt in here but is there any reason why it has to be 3 phase? As long as the pump can do what you want it to you should be able to drop a single hot leg to run single phase equipment , no? I would imagine that you would not need to go to single phase untill you were much bigger than the realm of a micro brewery, say 50 hL (just a guess )
While a single phase pump would work, in a bigger or any professional brewery I would go for as big of a pump as possible. When you need to make money off brewing time is important. On the 10bbl system at my old job transfer took a little over a hour and a half for each transfer. For every batch that is 4.5 hours just pumping beer. It adds up quick.

Don't take any more faith in anything I say than you would anyone else on the internet. If you listen to what I say, then hurt your self or break something it is your own fault, I am just expressing my opinion or experience.
THINK for your self!!

Quick Reply