Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Question for StarSan Users

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2007, 02:50 AM   #1
Beerrific
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Question for StarSan Users

I have always used iodophor for sanitation but today I bought some StarSan. I switched due to the ability to store StarSan diluted and have it on hand to use whenever, not having to mix it every time I want to pull a hydrometer sample.

Anyway...I know the foam is my friend and racking onto the foam is a good thing, but how much foam do you usually have? For example I was racking into a 5 gallon carboy tonight, how much foam would you normally have in the carboy?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2007, 02:53 AM   #2
ArroganceFan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have been told not to worry about how much foam is in the carboy, just drain as much of the liquid as you can out, and leave the foam.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Primary: Fat Tire clone
Secondary: Summit IPA
On Tap: Edwort's Apfelwein
Up Next: Blue Moon clone, Muddy Waters Ale
Coming Soon: Geforce Shugga

Old 07-29-2007, 02:53 AM   #3
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It depends how much it got swished around, but sometimes one quarter of the carboy. If you try to add water to it (say to rinse it out) sometimes it foams right to the top.

Anyways, don't worry about the foam. It can be annoying when you are trying to fill a carboy and all that foam comes shooting out, but other than that, Star San is awesome, awesome stuff. I don't think I could ever go back.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:54 AM   #4
Orpheus

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I'm a StarSan user for quite some time and I admit the foam makes me nervous. I sanitize my carboys/kegs in StarSan and then quickly rinse the foam out with the hottest tap water I can get running through my pipes.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:56 AM   #5
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 41 Posts

Don't fear the foam. It is harmless to your beer. Actually, it is protecting your beer. It is good.

I once racked into a carboy that had at least a quart of Star San in the bottom because I forgot to drain it. I had about 2 gallons in it before I realized my mistake. So rather than throw out 2 gallons of beer, I just kept on racking. To make a long story short, it made no difference whatsoever.

On a BBR podcast, the inventor of Star San, Charlie Talley made the same claim. I didn't really believe him either, but now I do.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:56 AM   #6
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 138 Posts

You guys don't need to sweat the foam with Starsan. When you rack on top of it, the little bit left dilutes with your wort and becomes food for the yeast. Pretty sweet! It can't get any better than that.

Ok everybody, let's try it all together now.

RACK ON FOAM!

RACK ON FOAM!

RACK ON FOAM!

ROF ROF ROF!

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 07-29-2007, 03:02 AM   #7
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 11

After my very first beer, (totally infected) I've only ever used star-san. I like to fill the carboy half or three quarters full and then add my star-san. Then I fill up the rest of the carboy to the very top. This limits the amount of foam while still thoroughly mixing it. When you dump the star-san out, just gently pour it vs. letting it go "glug" and agitate the solution. You will have a moderate amount of foam, but nothing 10 minutes of draining won't fix. The foam is good because it actually forms a barrier in the neck of the upside down carboy. That way, nothing can draft up in there....

Old 07-29-2007, 03:03 AM   #8
Jester
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

good to know about feeding the yeast...

Old 07-29-2007, 03:03 AM   #9
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
You guys don't need to sweat the foam with Starsan. When you rack on top of it, the little bit left dilutes with your wort and becomes food for the yeast. Pretty sweet!

I've always wondered exactly what it is that becomes food for the yeast?

Old 07-29-2007, 03:11 AM   #10
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve
I've always wondered exactly what it is that becomes food for the yeast?
I don't know, but I heard an interview on The Brewing Network with the inventor. It's a food grade sanitizer and contact time needed is 30 seconds, but the FDA makes him say 2 minutes. I've used it for a year with nothing but stellar results. I keep a 3 gallon bottle of RO (Reverse Osmosis) water handy with Starsan, so I always have sanitizer ready when I need it. It lasts and last as long as the Ph is 3.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Quick Reply