Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Question on pump and camlocks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1382 Times on 1116 Posts

Even with the same inside diameter plumbing to/from these impeller pumps, the center-inlet design should still provide moderately higher performance because it eliminates the sharp 90° bend in the input port molded into the side-input model.

[On a barely related note, I went with the side-input model because on my single tier the input plumbing would be sticking out where it'd be highly vulnerable to being cleaned off by a passing shin bone...]

Cheers!

Old 12-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The center inlet is SLIGHTLY better at reducing cavitation because it doesn't have a 90 degree bend right on the face of the impeller. Sure, it would be great to run 3/4" hose directly to a huge barb on the front but even with the 1/2" camlock stepdown, you're in slightly better shape than the inline. Both will work OK as long as you use high flow components and don't put an additional 90 on the inlet of the inline.

To the OP, one great compromise is to design a two tier setup and get one pump. You then have the option of batch or fly sparging. A pump also allows you to lower the entire stand because you no longer have to rely on gravity to get the wort from the boil kettle to the fermenter. It affords you options on chilling as well. While you can gravity feed a CFC or plate chiller, a pump works a lot better and allows you to pump-recirculate-sanitize with heat. Even if you go with an immersion chiller, you can then use the pump to whirlpool for faster cooling and better runoff clarity. Same goes for your mash. No more pitcher vorlaufs, hook up the pump and go.

Ok, now that I got all the cheerleading out of the way, you will hate life for a bit while you get used to working with a pump but don't get discouraged. You eventually figure it out.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?
Golddiggie Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #13
AndyL0000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post

Ok, now that I got all the cheerleading out of the way, you will hate life for a bit while you get used to working with a pump but don't get discouraged. You eventually figure it out.
I have to disagree with the above. I got my pump setup and cam locks from Bobby ^^^ this summer and I love it. Took a little getting used to but I was not hating life by any means.

I will also recommend going through Bobby at Brewhardware.com. Great prices, and great service and a pleasure to deal with.

Andy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply