Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Question for other Tower of Power users

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
c3hutson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 14 Posts

Default Question for other Tower of Power users

I've got one "test" run (water only in MLT) and one batch under my belt so far with the tower of power, and now have some questions.

I'm wondering how many of you did as I did, and skipped the stand. I'm using just on module and recirculating from my bulkhead to the pump and back up to a loose hose on top of the grain bed. I'm noticing that the recirculating mash stay kind of segregated to the area that it's returning to and the rest of the mash seems stagnant. This is confirmed by some fairly drastic (5-10 F) temperature differences between parts of the mash. Should I be using the autosparge instead of loose hose?

Next is the brewmometer temp vs the TOP sensor temp. Quite a variation here... again, 10 degrees cooler in the mash tun at times.

Finally, for people NOT using the ToP stand, have you had any luck finding an alternative Flow Meter (rotameter). I've been searching but DAYUUMMMM.... no wonder the stand costs so much... these flow meters are $$$$$

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You can build a cheap sparge arm like this one: http://moreflavor-pavinthewaysoftw.netdna-ssl.com/product_image/morebeer/500x500/8512.jpg

Also, adding a pound of rice hulls will help with keeping the mash temp a little bit more even. Still, it's a good idea to stir every 20 mins or so.

Note: I don't have the Tower of Power, but have brewed on similar systems.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 10-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
JJFlash
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Been using one of these for years for recirc back to the mash. Just plug it into the return hose. Use it now on my Top Tier / Tower of Power system. Cheap and efficient.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/siphon-sprayer.html

-JJ-

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins

Old 10-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
JJFlash
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also, my experience with the Tower of Power is that it comes nowhere near the advertised 0.5 degree temp span. My mash is anywhere from 4 - 8 degrees less than the programmed temperature even after one hour. Smaller mash tuns have larger error. The temperature ramp is also a problem. Never makes it to the programmed temperature with the 1.5 minutes per degree ramp recommendation. In a ten minute ramp mine will cycle on/off for the first several minutes, then try desperately at the end to hit the programmed temp. Always runs into the mash time trying to come up to temp. You can work around these issues but disappointed, for the price I paid, does not work as advertised. I use Top Tier / Tower of Power / all Blichmann kettles.

-JJ-

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins

Old 10-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
NMG318
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would have to agree with JJFlash. I generally have to set my temp on the controller several degrees higher than the required mash temp. I have 2 thermometers (one has a long stem on it to check deep into the mash...the other is a Thermapen) to monitor the mash temp and I adjust the TOP as required. I have found the Brewmometer is fairly accurate, however, sometimes I notice a difference of up to 10 degrees compared to my Thermapen and Brewmometer.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
c3hutson
Recipes 

Did a second brew. I changed the "steady state" offset via the TOP-link software to +2 degrees and it really seemed to help the TOP match the brewmometer. I also stirred every few minutes. I think changing the offset a touch more will get it even closer!

Chad

Old 10-22-2013, 03:13 AM   #7
JJFlash
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I too have played with the "steady state offset". Never could get it to synchronize the temperature discrepancy. Never did seem to do much no matter what number I plugged in. Did manage to totally corrupt the programmed mash schedule playing with it.

-JJ-

- Bilbo Baggins

Old 10-22-2013, 04:50 AM   #8
c3hutson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFlash
I too have played with the "steady state offset". Never could get it to synchronize the temperature discrepancy. Never did seem to do much no matter what number I plugged in. Did manage to totally corrupt the programmed mash schedule playing with it.
Strange. Are you using the tower of power stand? What's your recirculation rate like?

Quick Reply