Question on Fermenation Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezboarderz

Reaction score
Hey, I am new to home brewing and just trying to intelligently get a good system going before i start. As I have spent a lot of time reading on what makes a good beer, i found out that temperature control for fermentation is absolutely important.

So I am thinking of picking up a free/cheap fridge off craigslist and making that the place where i would leave the carboys. As far as converting the fridge to keep a set temperature i came across this guy https://morebeer.com/view_product/16666 Would this be a good item to get for this, or is there a cheaper/better model that would be good?

Also as far as installing the temperator controller, Is there anything i would need to know as far as that.

Note - I have looked at the son of ferm, but it seems like a hassle to make and to maintain. Plus it would be about the same amount of cash to get as the fridge set up, as i could get a free one off craigslist. Thanks for any feedback.

A lot of this depends on your DIY capabilities. If you do not know anything about electricity and aren't interested in learning, the prewired Ranco unit is probably the best way to go IMHO. However, if you can do some wiring and DIY stuff, then I would suggest going with a LOVE controller. I just built my chamber and am very happy with it. I detailed my build in the thread shown in my sig line.

Also, here is a very good thread about wiring the newer LOVE controllers https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/love-temp-controller-series-ts-wiring-diagram-2008-a-88369/

My full cost for the chamber was $100.

Also, if you need a submersion probe, jcdillan sells them here. They are a great product.

ok, yeah im not very knowledgable about electricity and I wouldn't really want to mess around with that because i tend to have the ability to mes things up that deal with electrical stuff. (I once tried to wire subs in my car and ended up blowing 2 fuses in the process).

So the model I posted above is a pre-wired controller? So i would pretty much just have to hook it up the fridge and i would be good to go? I assume that there will be some instructions that come with the thing. Also, is this unit universal for any fridge? I havent picked up a fridge yet, but I'm assuming that this set up would work.

Let me know if there's anything else i should know.

The controller you linked is all set to plug-and-play. Basically, it is a temperature controlled switch. It has a temperature probe that you put in the fridge, and the controller selectively supplies power to the outlet to maintain the probe temperature at the desired setpoint.

It will come with directions and a quick search around here will answer any questions you may have. Do a search for Ranco, and a bunch of hits will come up.

Awesome, thank you so much! I am just trying to get everything set up to do my first brew. I figure, if your gunna do it, might as well do it correctly and get all the different variables under control. I should be picking up a fridge within the week. I'll order this badboy asap.

Back